Warm Climate People - need advice

Jul 30, 2016
Arizona City, AZ
This is my first year with my pool in AZ. In the past I've had small above ground pools and in the winter I just ignored them. I am sure that isn't the best practice. I was wondering from the Warm Climate people, during the fall/winter when it will be too cold to swim, how often are you checking things like PH and Chlorine levels?

Thanks
Tim

It is indeed much less trouble during the winter here in AZ. But don't get lulled into complacency like I did last year. In late winter/early spring last year I found myself with an algae bloom sure to the longer and warmer days consuming my chlorine faster than deep winter.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You don't want to ignore your pool. The first year we had our pool I got complacent and ignored it for weeks on end. The pH spiked up and, by the springtime I had horrible calcium scale all over my tile. However, the good news as others have pointed out is that your chlorine and pH fluctuations will greatly decrease with temperature. When late November hits and my water temps drop below 62F, my SWG stops working. Last winter, I think I may have added about 3 gallons of bleach total for the entire winter until my SWG came out of winter cold water slumber. My pool was completely open the entire time but even then the pH and FC were very stable.

Anyway, every pool is a little different but you can easily get away with testing once per week and making small adjustments. It's always good to keep a log (written or electronic) so you can track levels.

Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.