White scum in spa

wkussmaul

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 29, 2010
My Hot Springs spa uses salt/chlorine generation and is usually self-maintaining.
Last time I checked, the TA was 71, pH 7.5, TCL 5.1, FCL 4.6.

Then I got lazy or busy or something and didn't check for 3 weeks (my bad).
Yesterday opened the spa to see white filmy scum on the top of the water and strands of the stuff at the bottom.
Water check showed TCL and FCL off the charts high, pH 8.3.

I'm planning to drain, clean and start over. But I am wondering what the white scum could be?
Whatever it is, it can withstand very high chlorine levels.

What is your CH? Usually foaming in a tub can be mitigated with CH levels above 125-150. There is probably some funky buildup in the plumbing also. A treatment with Ahh-some when you drain is probably a good idea. The funky buildup can develop a biofilm that will protect it from chlorine. The Ahh-some will breakdown the biofilm.

Thanks for the response. Actually there is no foaming involved, just little pieces and strands of white stuff.
I was just wondering what could possibly live in that environment!
Regardless, I'll do the Ahh_some, drain and refill.

There are different bacteria that can live pretty much anywhere. Bacteria really thrive in a hot tub environment which is why people tend to have more trouble with a hot tub than a pool. Keeping FC above 0 to prevent bacterial growth is important in a hot tub environment. That sounds like some plumbing funky build up. Ahh-some will take care of it.

Had a similar problem once. I would clean filter run and brush tub. Repeat until the filters get all the slime. I thought kids put something in spa. Now that you posted this guess its common and some other material. I doubt it has anything to do with ch. Since the salt system requires a very low level to work. I had so much problems with the hot spring salt system. It never really worked for long period of time with out problems. Also went through three top side cordless remotes. Going to install ozone generator in it. Hot springs tubs with a salt system installed have the ozone left out. Which would help break down that material if it had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.