Should I remove wedding cake stairs?

May 11, 2016
Troy IL
I'm going to half close my pool this year. I'm going to blow out the plumbing and winterize the pump, but not cover the pool. My question is should I remove the wedding cake stairs that I have in my pool? The attach to the concrete deck, and my only concern is whether ice freezing around the metal pole/rail going into the water would somehow be damaged if ice expanded around it. But that doesn't seem likely to me. Can anyone say whether or not this will be an issue for me? I can remove them, but then I have to find somewhere to store them.

I totally agree with you on that. My plan is to take them out and inspect for green stuff, and clean if necessary. Last year when I was "sanitizing" the pool with a Pool Frog system, my stairs had a little bit of green in them, but not much. This year with the TFP method, I'm anxious to see if I have any at all.

But after I clean/inspect the stairs, I think I'm going to throw them back in the pool rather than store them somewhere. The top stair is 6 inches or more below the water surface, and shouldn't ever see ice. The metal railing is all that will, and it should withstand. We'll see!

I'm not using the frog. We moved into our house in September last year. We ran the pool with the frog system the remainder of that year using chemicals the previous owner left us. When opening up the pool this year, I saw what all the pool store wanted me to buy to get the frog system going and I started looking for a better way. That led me here, and the frog is not even in my plumbing any more.

Santize as in clean. I put it in quotes because the Frog, in my opinion, doesn't truly sanitize or keep clean the pool from algae and bacteria. None the less, it is sold as a way to keep your pool clean, or sanitize it.

I still have the Frog system, but do not use it. Twice, yearly I add 3" tablets to bring stabilizer up and it works like a chlorinator. I had the Frog and did see spots of algae even with the recommended levels. TFP came along my way as each time I entered the pool store, they would have me adding something. Eventually, I knew something was wrong. The Frog only lasted one season at most.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.