Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ball valve on return line - is this necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ball valve on return line - is this necessary?

I'm in the process of replumbing the return line after my filter to add lines to the solar panels I'm attempting to add to my setup.

Currently, there is a single union ball valve on my return line immediately after my filter. The non-union side of the ball valve is solvent, and there's not enough pvc between it and the mipt fitting that screws into filter to salvage it. I'm not a plumbing expert, but I can't think of a good reason for it to be there. I can't imagine it would be good to 'throttle' the amount of water the pump was sending back to the pool. The union part of it is helpful for winterizing and removing the filter from the system entirely when I clean it. Should I replace this ball valve with a plain old union, or should I replace it with another valve?
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ball valve on return line - is this necessary?

It is very nice to have a valve near there if the filter is below the pool water level. It is also somewhat handy, but hardly critical, to have a valve there when doing a full tear down cleaning out of the filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think something just clicked for me...perhaps you can confirm.

When my water level is higher than halfway up the skimmer, if I try to clean out my pump basket after vacuuming, the water would always overflow out of the basket. I tried to prevent this by closing the valves to both my skimmers and my main drain, which helped, but I still had some overflow. If my equipment was outside, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it kind of makes a mess indoors.

I never considered closing the valve on the return since it was a good 2 feet higher than the pump. Maybe water was backflowing down the return line? If so, I should probably keep a valve there...
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

4. Back To Top    #4

you got it

we have our return ball valve right before the return fitting....you can see my old set-up, pre swg here

http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/dmanb2b/
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator