New homeowner- Repair or replace pool

Oct 6, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Hello,

We purchased a new home about a month ago. It came with a beautiful 16x32' Doughboy pool, partially buried with a deep end. We were told the pool was at least 15 years old. I saw that the pool wall was a little rusty when we bought the place.

About two weeks after moving in, the wall split. The liner thankfully held, and we were able to drain the pool before 20,000 gallons flooded our backyard. At least one of the upright supports also buckled.

We met with the Doughboy dealer in our area last week. After looking at the pool they gave us two options:

1) New pool ~10k installed
2) Replace pool wall and new liner: ~6k, maybe a few other parts replaced at an additional cost.

I didn't even know that repair was an option, but the dealer says the other parts of the pool appear to be in good shape. The new pool option includes a new pump, filter, and some other accessories. The existing pump is functional, but is not exactly new.

I've only owned a pool for a few weeks, and am having trouble making an educated decision. The dealer has been very helpful in explaining the choice, but I'd thought it would be a good idea to seek a third opinion. They won't guarantee the old parts after the repair, but say that the wall and new liner carry a warranty. What would you do?

Thank you in advance for the insight. This forum seems to be a great resource. I'm looking forward to some less stressful pool ownership.

I think I would be inclined to replace the whole thing - $6,000 plus for a repair that isn't guaranteed seems a little steep.

$6000+ for a repair job with no guarantees that some other section of the wall will collapse OR $10,000 for a fully new and warrantied pool....

If it were me - new pool.

Just make sure you and the installer understand it's $10k and not "$10k....but oh, if we find this or that, then it's more...". Installers love to downplay costs and then spring additional charges on you with the excavator running and the implicit threat that the job stops if you don't pay up.

Know the terms of the deal precisely and demand a payment schedule based on milestones and with a minimum 10% retainer at the end so that your punchlist is completed.

I should clarify that the 6k amount was to replace the entire wall and reuse the uprights, bottom rail and top rail.

The installer has been very professional and forthright with the costs, and has provided two very detailed invoices (sand water, water truck etc...). We're leaning towards replacing everything, but money is a little tight.

Thanks,

Yes, both costs include labor.

The top rails are in good condition. Bottom rail condition is unknown. Dealer says it may be a no-go once they open it up. They are willing to change paths once more info is known.

We have a deck around the pool that makes access a little tricky. Dealer says that they can match the footprint and height exactly with wall replacement. Replacing the pool will match the footprint, but be 3 or 4 inches taller. I figure I can hide it with a trim board until deck replacement time comes.

Knowing this info. I would say it is up to you and your wallet LOL Do what works for you.

Have you "vested" your PB.......have you talked to anyone he has done work for? Yelp? BBB? ect. Anyone can say anything so.....

Kim :kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.