CH=150, CSI=0, ok to close?

May 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi - big fan of TFP and really appreciate the expert advice here....

Just checking before I close the pool this weekend.
CH =150
pH = 7.8
CSI = 0.0 (Poolmath)
FC = 5.4
CC = 0.0
TA =100
CYA = 30

I know ideally CH should be higher but I've kept it this way because the previous owner left a lot of calcium deposits on the surface of the plaster.
Another factor is that the pH in this pool always wants to climb to 7.8 - 8.0. I have repeatedly tried muriatic acid and dry acid, which reduce pH, but after a few days it just climbs back up to 7.8 - 8.0!

What are the risks of leaving the water as is for the winter (covered with mesh safety cover)?

Thanks,
Steve

Can't answer the CH question (sorry) BUT do see what might be causing your PH to jump so hard. Your TA is listed as 100. If you bring that down to 80 your PH might stop jumping so fast. Each pool is very different so you might have to play with your TA to find what YOUR pool likes. Once you find YOUR TA you should see the PH level out.

Kim:kim:

In Pool Math, what do you currently have the temperature set at? How does the CSI change if you lower the temp to 32 degrees? If that number is still above -0.6, you should be fine. Bumping the CH up and lowering the TA a little next spring wouldn't hurt, depending on your pH stability this summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.