Need Help Fast! Question re Travertine decking caps versus pavers

elbenn

Jun 1, 2016
dallas, tx
We have an existing concrete patio and then a new extension to the patio we are putting in. The new extension is right next to the existing patio, but it's stepped down. The PB said they would cap the concrete patio with travertine tile and the pavers would be on the new decking (which won't have concrete underneath). They are doing the deck today and they started putting in the pavers in all of it. The pavers obviously make the flooring higher than tile would and while the doors have room to open, the fridge is a very tight fit (might have to take out some stone that is located above the fridge in the stone kitchen).

PB says they can halt and order the tile, but that the pallets might not match and the pavers we have here would match perfectly. The travertine is noche color. I'm not sure if this is true or whether he just wants them to keep going on the project and not wait to order the other tile. I need to make a decision on this quick. My questions:

1. Will the travertine match if I get tile versus pavers? It's not like the travertine they are using is all a uniform color--some pavers are lighter and some are darker, so there's variations, but maybe there would be greater variations with tile?

2. Is there any benefit to using pavers or tiles on the existing patio? Assuming we can make the fridge work, does it matter?

The deck is a mess right now because they're working on it so I don't think pictures would be useful. My questions are general anyway. Pics wouldn't help on the travertine matching question since I don't have the tiles yet so I can't compare them. And the other question is whether pavers (being much thicker) would be any benefit on an existing concrete patio or whether thinner tile would be just as good.

We have an existing concrete patio and then a new extension to the patio we are putting in. The new extension is right next to the existing patio, but it's stepped down. The PB said they would cap the concrete patio with travertine tile and the pavers would be on the new decking (which won't have concrete underneath). They are doing the deck today and they started putting in the pavers in all of it. The pavers obviously make the flooring higher than tile would and while the doors have room to open, the fridge is a very tight fit (might have to take out some stone that is located above the fridge in the stone kitchen).

PB says they can halt and order the tile, but that the pallets might not match and the pavers we have here would match perfectly. The travertine is noche color. I'm not sure if this is true or whether he just wants them to keep going on the project and not wait to order the other tile. I need to make a decision on this quick. My questions:

1. Will the travertine match if I get tile versus pavers? It's not like the travertine they are using is all a uniform color--some pavers are lighter and some are darker, so there's variations, but maybe there would be greater variations with tile?

2. Is there any benefit to using pavers or tiles on the existing patio? Assuming we can make the fridge work, does it matter?

That is exactly what I did. but with real coral, not travertine... you cannot tell the difference or where the tile stops and pavers start.. at least IMO here are some pics..

Finished:

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Pool%20-%202016/IMG_0662.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Before:

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Pool%20-%202016/IMG_0438.jpg.html][/URL]

another:

[URL=http://s81.photobucket.com/user/daddymacklv/media/Pool%20-%202016/IMG_0750.jpg.html][/URL]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.