pump not starting

Try turning the shaft of the motor manually with the power off, either from the back of the motor under the end cap or between the motor and wet end (if it's exposed there), then try turning it on again. You can also give it a twist with the power on while it's humming, but be careful since it's going to start moving quickly if it works and if you're working on the back end of the pump there's a lot of wiring you don't want to bump into. If the shaft turns freely by hand you may just have a bad capacitor. Those are cheap and easily replaced.

Hi Lisa - if I haven't already, welcome to TFP!! (I know I've seen you on other threads - the one about jumping in an AG pool)

Spishex always gives good advice :goodjob: and it should be followed! However, I've got a 'quick and dirty' trick to try - when you start the pump and it's humming - pound on the motor casing with the butt end of a hammer and see if it won't fire up 8) (sometimes the starter connections are a little oxidized and the pounding on the casing will free up the rust enough to provide the electrical connection)

I hope that this is an easy fix for you :)

Thanks for your suggestions, but so far no luck. It is a brand new pump (only bought it this year). The installer was here yesterday to check on some other things and he tried both of the above suggestions. He disconnected it and I will take it back to the store. It is covered on the warranty so I should not have a problem.

Thanks anyway.

Ok, brought the pump back to the store and they guy took it appart and said there was a lot of debris on the impeller. He cleaned and it runs fine now. He suggested a skimmer sock to catch all the tiny particles of stuff. especially since it is a new install and there is still a lot of dirt around the pool getting in on the kids feet and such.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.