Out of curiosity- for those that have had a deck professionally built

Jul 20, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I'm wondering if it's normal for the workers to only work 5-6 hrs on the site?

We have some frustrations, over all, with the company, but I wanted to see if this was normal. His worker is only here from 8:30/9-2:45. The first 2 days, he was here at 7:30 am. He left still around 3, but at least that was a regular work day.

We have had electricians, gas line installer, and the pool installers and they all worked a full days work when here. We're extremely irritated with this deck guy (not the worker), so if him having his worker here only 5-6 hrs is normal, that is one less thing to be ticked off about :cool:

It seems such things are becoming the norm with residential construction crews doing smaller jobs. I just had a 9 ft section of exterior wall torn out and rebuilt which including removing 2 windows, replacing with them with 1 and replacing a door last month. This small project turned into a 3 day job with 3 guys on site most of the time 4-5 hours per day.

Contractors can be spotty, especially if they have enough time before their deadline to focus on other jobs that are closer to the finish date. Either the contractor is juggling people between multiple sites or his worker has another job on his own.

The weather doesn't look too harsh in Milwaukee right now so he can't be melting from the afternoon sun, it's probably another job. does the work look like it's going to be done by the time it was promised?

Varies by contractor. I've had ones work 10+ hour days and others drag on for days what could have been a 1 day job. Suspect those that drag on for days are those that tell people that they can start immediately/soon so they lock in job that otherwise they may lose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.