Aussie - What extra reagents should I order

Oct 4, 2016
Western Australia
First post guys so be nice.

I'm about to purchase a Taylor K-2006(c) from the US and will top up with reagents at the same time.

Can anyone recommend what reagents i purchase in addition to the kit. I'm still trying to get my head around this testing thing as my local pool shop is giving me different readings.

Just installed a new fibreglass 30k lt salt pool. It's looking good now I have the swg sorted but want to take ownership of the testing so I'm not relying on the pool shop.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Dazzmac and welcome to the forum from a fellow West Aussie. :wave:

You've made a great decision straight off the bat and you won't regret getting a decent test kit. The 3 most important reagents to bulk up if you are ordering from the US are the R-0870 powder and the R-0871 titration reagent for the FAS DPD test as well as the R-0013 CYA reagent -I'd buy a pint size of this one! If you were ordering from the US consider a Speedstir as well.

We do have a local company doing their own version of the test kit Clearchoice labs not exactly the same but a good test kit all the same and many of their reagents are compatible withe Taylor if you run out of chemicals from your K-2006.

Whatever you do - do not trust the pool store testing- certainly be cautious about following any of their advice or buying any of the extra stuff which is usually not necessary.

Enjoy the journey and read around Pool School

We are happy to help with any other questions-just ask away.

Taylor K-2006C test kit

Hi all,

First post so be nice.

I'm in Western Australia and just had a new salt 30k lt fibreglass pool installed and the supplied test kit is just not cutting it. I've been to a pool shop numerous times and received varying results, which ended up costing me $$ for chemicals.

I've now decided to purchase a decent test kit from the US which will more than likely be a Taylor K-2008C and the salt test kit also. As the freight price is what is a was thinking of purchasing some of the commonly used reagents at the same time.

Can anyone give me some help on which reagents I should look at buying along with the kit?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Taylor K-2006C test kit

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The reagents you'll likely need to buy first would be the R-0871 reagent for the FAS-DPD chlorine test and the R-0013 CYA reagent. You'll use R-0871 frequently and to save on reagents, you can use the 10 mL sample volume for the FAS-DPD test rather than the 25 mL volume that I believe is in the instructions that come with the K-2006C. Additional R-0870 powder (also for the FAS-DPD chlorine test) would also be a good idea. The R-0013 quantity provided with the K-2006C is likely only enough for 8 CYA tests. Especially if you're new to testing, the CYA test is the one that takes a little experience so having more reagent to practice and verify your results will be helpful.

Also, check out this article in Pool School here at TFP: Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions It has extensive detail about each test so you can have more confidence in your testing.

Cheers Jezza,

I've learnt the hard way when it comes to pool shops. Believe you me.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the testing side of it now that the pool is my new baby. No more back lawn or trees to upkeep.

Now just waiting for some decent weather to fire up the new heat pump and start using the thing

Thanks again for the advic e.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Re: Taylor K-2006C test kit

Thanks JV.

I've seemed to have duplicated this post so my apologies if you stumble across this topic in another part of this forum.

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably order something tonight. Stumbled across a site called Sunplay who are very reasonable priced.

Looking forward to getting involved.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.