Equipment location, future pool.

Sep 11, 2016
Laval, Quebec
Really glad I found this forum, such a wealth of information. Maybe someday I will be experienced enough to help others, but right know I am a clueless newbie who needs your help.
Signed a contract a little over a month ago for an in ground pool install. It's at the point where the municipal permits have been approved and we are expecting delivery of the pool supplies at the end of the week (with excavation starting early next week). The project manager who visited the site yesterday was trying to find an ideal location for the concrete pad (4x7) which will hold the pool equipment. When I mentioned that I wanted the pump, filter, and SWG (all Hayward) inside the shed, she told me it's not recommended as it will void the warranty since it gets too hot in there . I live in Canada BTW, it can get hot in the summer but nowhere near Florida or Arizona hot (shed has windows for ventilation)They want to place everything out in the open, which in my small yard, will be an eyesore and limit my patio space. I could not find any mention of this on Hayward's website (except for the heat pump, which I would obviously leave outdoors)
She also mentioned that when I went to open up the filter to wash the cartridges, I would flood my entire shed. Any truth to any of this?

solo,

Welcome to TFP, a great place to be... :lovetfp:

Well, I have my pool equipment pad in a shed. That said, the equipment pad is surrounded by river rocks about 2' wide and 18" deep. In my case, the filter plug drain is not connected to any plumbing, so when I drain the filter, the water would flood the shed if it were not for the surrounding rocks. The best bet would be to plumb the drain to direct the water to somewhere else. I did not realize this until the first time I cleaned the cartridges. Sigh!!

Another thing about a shed, is that it has to be tall enough so that you can get the lid off the top of the filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

there are thousands of pools with equipment sheds.
It's not going to void any warranties. Heat pumps and heaters may reqire outdoor installation or venting to comply with their installation instructions or code.

You need a filter drain.

You will likely need type b vent pipe for the heater. Depending on the size of the shed, you may also want a window or some additional way to vent built up ambient heat from the heater.

I have my equipment located in a "pool house" (finished 2-story 25x25 pole barn). Every heater I looked at has an indoor vent kit specific to their heater, so clearly the mfg does not VOID warranties putting them inside...unless you were to do so without a vent, which would be dangerous. There is a minimum wall offset for installation and usually the same for gas lines.

Don't bend on this one...the shed, if properly vented, will add years to equipment life ;)

Thanks for all the responses, I knew she was trying to take me for a ride. I even contacted Hayward, who backs up everything that was said here. Since I am here, I have another question. When she was the other day, there was a discussion as to the height of the pool. We are getting concrete poured all around the pool (side walk). She told me that the concrete will end up be higher than the surrounding land. This is going to cause some problems for me as i already have an interlock patio area (which I can't raise) and wanted the concrete to be flush with that. She also suggested that I drop the level of grass. The reason they do this is that the pool gets dirty quickly due to the run off when I rains. I have difficulty understanding this.

Is the height of the ground/grass higher than the planned concrete? You definitely want to grade storm runoff away from the pool in general for a couple of reasons...in addition to avoiding the runoff itself, you don't want to build up the water table around the pool, especially if you have a vinyl liner, which can float.

In my case, this meant having a 3-tiered terrace on the side of a hill beside the pool with a drain surrounding the pool, a sump under the deep end, and concrete that slopes away/down slightly toward the perimeter drain. In this way, water from the higher ground is managed more or less, but I do periodically need to reverse the flow on my plumbing to pump of the sump, eg greater than 6" rain.

In Quebec, I'm betting a second consideration is the path of snowmelt...so plan carefully to manage run off in your yard, and put less emphasis on being even with the interlock. There are things you could do to smooth the transition...depending on your grade, you might benefit from a perimeter drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.