Acid wash completed, pool stabilizer recommended

Oct 5, 2016
Fresno
We just drained our pool this past Sunday, and had a pool company complete an acid wash and chlorine treatment. We started filling it yesterday and it is now back to 20,000 gallon capacity.

The pool repair company recommended we add granular stabilizer by broadcasting it into the pool, followed by 2 gallons of chlorine and later adding black algaecide.

Now I have read the application for the stabilizer is thru a sock, while others add to skimmer, yet he advised us to just toss it into the pool. If I toss in pool is it not just going to sit at bottom of pool undissolved?

Confused and when do I add chlorine, should I wait a few days for stabilizer to kick in?

What about the algaecide?

All help greatly appreciated.

Use a sock of granular CYA in a sock or nylon in front of a deep end return. Granular CYA dissolves very, very slowly and will sit on the bottom of the pool. It can sometimes stain plaster. Putting it in the skimmer will just send it into your filter where it will sit and slowly dissolve; backwashing can eliminate it if you backwash too soon. Also, CYA is fairly acidic so you don't want an acidic chemical sitting inside your filter. The sock method works best.

Chlorine can be added right away. Liquid chlorine, aka bleach, is best.

Algaecide - depends on what's in it. Absolutely NOT if it is copper based algaecide. Polyquat-60 is ok to add but a properly cleaned and chlorinated pool almost never needs regular doses of algaecide.

If you haven't read our Pool School, you should. The TFPC method of pool care is far superior to anything your pool company will do for you, it teaches you to take care of your pool yourself and, best of all, it means never having to step inside of a pool store again to buy over-priced chemicals, most of which you do not need.

The TFPC Method of pool care starts with owning a high quality commercial grade test kit so you can test and analyze your water yourself. Pool store testing is lousy, period. They often are wrong on just about every test and their entire testing regimen is designed around one idea - to get you to buy as much stuff from them as possible with every single visit.

Definitely don't just throw the CYA into the pool, especially if your new fill water is cold, as water from the tap would be here. I've noticed that CYA disappears quite a bit more quickly (from the sock I put it into) when the water is warm - e.g. mid-season CYA add; versus when the water is cold - e.g. adding the initial dose of CYA to new water in late spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.