Off season maintaince in North CA

Jun 6, 2016
San Jose
I won't use my pool for swimming from Oct. to May next year. A pool guy told me to treat the pool as normal in the off season, i.e. 3 hrs pump running, add bleach and do weekly maintenance. No other special treatment needed as the local temperature never drops to the freezing point. Just wonder if there is any more economic way to reduce the maintenance time and cost. For example, can I just trow a lot of chlorine into the pool and cover it up, shut down the pump and leave as is to next spring? Thanks.

In theory, you could do that but you may cause more time and trouble than you save. Keep the pool open, you will lose very little chlorine and you will enjoy looking at your nice pool.

My chlorine usage from November to March was around 8 gallons if I recall correctly and I only needed to add every 4 to 7 day. At one point I accidently got up to SLAM level and did not have to add for 3 weeks. I was testing every day but that was because the pool was new keeping the pH in line was difficult. This winter I imagine I will only be testing once or twice a week. I was running my pump for 5 hours at 1100 RPM, if you have a single speed pump I would think once the water temp drops to the mid to low 60's you could get away with 2 to 3 hours pump time assuming no leaves to deal with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.