Drain Bladder w/ compressed air to winterize bottom drain?

May 23, 2015
Chicago, IL
Finding the right "contraption" to effectively push air in to the returns lines has brought me to this point. While I know that using the a 6hp shop vac is putting a good amount of air in to my bottom drain, I'm not getting any bubbles from the main drain, even after multiple minutes. Has anyone tried a drain bladder but using compressed air vs. water to "inflate" the bladder and push air in to the main drain line? Example of a drain bladder for those who haven't used/seen them before: http://www.homerepairforum.com/images/uploads/2004-11-17_drain%20cleaning%20bladder%20II_w550.JPG . Already own a drain bladder and its a perfect fit for the opening from the return lines running in to the pump basket.

I already own an air compressor. Purchased a "compressor-to-garden hose" fitting on Amazon today (same day delivery, nice!) Plan on bringing my air compressor tank to a high volume and then _slowly_ releasing the air (via a regulator) until the bladder inflates. At that point, I will have a seal on the line going in to the pump basket and air will begin filling the main drain [of course with the multi-value in the right direction]. No need to go much higher in pressure than inflating the bladder because all air at the point will be directed to the main drain. Let it run for a few minutes while pushing water and air out of main drain. Turn off compressor while simultaneously turning multi-valve and locking air in pipe.

Thoughts? Am I completely missing something?

Thank you in advance. Will post results after testing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.