Opinions on this pump\filter

Jun 22, 2013
I recently upgraded to the Game Sandpro 75D filter/pump.

http://www.game-group.com/products/sandpro-75d/

It has worked much better than my old Intex filter but I am worried about the quality of the multiport valve. It seems very cheaply made and only has three options. Filter, backwash and rinse. I kinda wish it had a waste option as well.

Then I stumbled accross this last night.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210T93S-21-Inch-Top-Mount-Ground/dp/B000EVNZT8

It is much larger filter and pump. The game is rated at 52gpm, and this larger one is only rated at 42gpm, even though the pump is double the size. This seems confusing to me. I am tempted to get the hayward because I think it is probably better quality.

Your thoughts?

I recently upgraded to the Game Sandpro 75D filter/pump.

http://www.game-group.com/products/sandpro-75d/

It has worked much better than my old Intex filter but I am worried about the quality of the multiport valve. It seems very cheaply made and only has three options. Filter, backwash and rinse. I kinda wish it had a waste option as well.

Then I stumbled accross this last night.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S210T93S-21-Inch-Top-Mount-Ground/dp/B000EVNZT8

It is much larger filter and pump. The game is rated at 52gpm, and this larger one is only rated at 42gpm, even though the pump is double the size. This seems confusing to me. I am tempted to get the hayward because I think it is probably better quality.

Your thoughts?
I ordered myself one Monday for $146, they are $133 now! My Intex 14" with 3/4HP pump has been flawless for two seasons, but the filter is way undersized (I have to backwash every 3 weeks or so), and the pump too small for my solar upgrade plans.

I was originally looking at 24" sandfilters (no pump) when I stumbled on that Amazon deal. The 1.5HP pump should have no issues pushing water up to the garage roof, and greatly improve my vacuum situation, and 21" filter is fine for my 18' pool.

85% of the 112 Amazon reviews are above 4 stars (70% are 5 star). I only plan to hook it up and make sure everything functions, then close the pool for the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a little more chat about these.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/129390-Filter-amp-Pump-Upgrade?p=1144349#post1144349

After a ton of questions on pumps, It was brought to my attention that HP ratings can be deceiving. I believe you will find in another post, mas985, (Mark, maybe you can confirm this.) mentioned that the 1-1/2 HP Hayward pump you purchased is about the same as his current 1/2 HP in-ground pump. So, I understand that to mean that the Hayward pump in your new purchase is not too over-sized for the 21" Filter. I'll try to find the link so you can see his quote...

Seagate Filters lists the 1.5HP as having 71GPM at 20ft of head, about the highest point of my possible solar expansion. Even with the plumbing resistance I suspect I should still be seeing up to 40-50GPM. Six to eight of my 24sf panels would only need about 24-32GPM.

My current pump has 32GPM at 5ft if I'm lucky LOL.

I think this pump/filter would work fine even if I go to a 24' X 52", and will be more than enough for my 6700 gallon 18'

Hayward Pumps - External Pumps

Based on my lack of pump knowledge but annoyingly long threads, I would tend to agree. I think the only thing better would be a two speed motor. But if your pool is shut down through the winter, I'm sure it will still be cost effective.

Based on my lack of pump knowledge but annoyingly long threads, I would tend to agree. I think the only thing better would be a two speed motor. But if your is shut down through the winter, I'm sure it will still be cost effective.
I was reading a thread here where a member suggested he may change the motor to a 2-speed. Concidering the price of the system, it would be a very cost effective upgrade, and one I may consider the following season.

Not trying to threadjack but dosent make sense to me to start a new thread. I just purchased an Intex 24x12x52 Ultra Frame (still sitting in box till spring) that comes with the 2100 gph Intex pump/sandfilter. How much of an upgrade would this combo be compared to the unit the pool comes with? I've already purchased a skimmer and plan to hard plumb everything as well as use a 1500gph Intex cartridge to run the skimmer and robot. I'm pretty sure I could sell the stock pump as its new for almost what I would pay for this one. Not sure if it would matter but I'll also be running the Intex SWG. I'll get all that in my signature soon. Thanks for the help.

If you mean the Hayward from Amazon that's being discussed in this thread, it is way more filter/pump than came with the Intex. I have the same setup as you (2100 GPH). The Intex filter/pump did a good job but vacuuming was tedious due to the pumps small size. Late thus summer I picked up an Intex Automatic cleaner and the small pump pushed it very well over the entire bottom of the pool. Only vacuumed on occasion. I'll be upgrading my pump/filter combo only because I'm moving it across the yard and adding solar. No way that 1/2 HP Intex pump can handle that. You can't really beat the price of the Hayward offered by Amazon. Very tempting but I'm looking for a 2-speed pump/filter set up. Hope that helps a little.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yah I was talking about the Hayward mentioned in the link. I was thinking about running a separate 1500 gph cartridge filter pump for the skimmer which is where I would attach the intex automatic cleaner (i think), does that make sense or would the 1500 gph not run the auto cleaner? Thanks for the reply its good to know the Hayward is that much better, for the cost I may pick one up either way and figure out if I should run the skimmer on a separate pump or not later.

Yah I was talking about the Hayward mentioned in the link. I was thinking about running a separate 1500 gph cartridge filter pump for the skimmer which is where I would attach the intex automatic cleaner (i think), does that make sense or would the 1500 gph not run the auto cleaner? Thanks for the reply its good to know the Hayward is that much better, for the cost I may pick one up either way and figure out if I should run the skimmer on a separate pump or not later.
There would be no need for a second pump to run your skimmer, even when using the 2100GPH Intex. My current system is the 14" 2150GPH sandfilter with 3/4HP pump and it runs a Hayward thru wall skimmer no problem.

The Hayward 21" sandfilter with 1-1/2HP pump will be more than adequate to run a skimmer, or Intex pressure side cleaner, probably both together with no issues.

The Intex auto cleaner hooks up to the return jet (pressure side). It is not a vacuum, despite how it is advertised, it is a sweeper that uses water pressure to stir up the bottom of the pool.

Here is the manual, page 5 shows how to hook it up.

http://slink.intexwebfax.com/b2cmnl...pp&action=pub_mnl&filnam=198PO_R0_1607_EN.pdf

I finally installed the Hayward filter discussed above and the Hayward in wall skimmer. All I can say is WOW. This pump has a lot more power than the Intex or Game filter that we were using. The pool looked pretty good when I took the cover off Thursday. I installed the new pump yesterday and this morning (after running it about 14 hours) the pool is crystal clear. I am amazed how well this works.

But now I am curious, how many hours a day should I run this pump/filter? My pool is 18' by 52", so the water level is a little low. I have estimated (with pool calc) to be around 7000 gallons. This Hayward says 44 GPM or 2640 GPH, so in approx 2.7 hours it can filter the entire volume of the pool.

I am about to order a timer for the pump and would appreciate input on how long I should run this.

I am headed out to try and vacuum with this setup. Will post my thought on that in a while. It was a total PIA trying to vacuum with the old filters and pumps. this one might just suck itself to the bottom and not move :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.