Confused how to shock my above ground pool before closing.

Dec 29, 2015
Hamilton
Hi everyone,

First time pool owner preforming his first time pool closing.

I have an 18' round Salt water pool with a SWG. I bought the pool closing kit from costco, with the algecide, and antifreeze, and other stuff. But it seems like I don't need it.

Can anyone help me figure out how much bleach to put in the pool to bring it to shock level?

Once it's in shock level, all I gotta do is drain it below the return, make sure there is no water in the lines and put the cover on, correct?

Thank you!!!

Not really. The one thing you will learn here is that we do most everything based on the numbers from one of the test kits. If you don't know what your current level is, how can you know what to add to get where you want to be?

That being said. All you need to close is bleach, and maybe poly 60 type algecide.

Here is the post that explains it best: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.