Ran de pump without water

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
To make a long story short I was lowering the water in my pool to close the pool but forgot to turn off power to my pump so it ran for a few hours without water. Did I damage my pump or should I be ok? This is a newer variable speed pump I bought a year ago

Once you have enough daylight to work with over there, let the water get back up, inspect the pump and connecting plumbing connections really well for any signs of warping, fill the pump basket with water, and crank it up. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but I'm surprised to hear it ran so long with no water as I thought many of today's VS pumps had a heat-override protector built-in to shut it off in such circumstances. So perhaps you got lucky and it never really overheated too badly.

Texas Splash, I think OP is trying to close so may have the water lowered significantly.

precator, I see no reason you can't deal with it in the Spring as long as you have a good back up plan in the unlikely event it doesn't start. I think you are fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.