Save money buying pump that had broken bolts?

Which bolts were broken on arrival?

Bolts do not break easily. Something doesn't make sense. Typically, if bolts break, something has gone seriously wrong.

If the pump arrived damaged, it should be covered under warranty and sent back to Pentair if it was their fault. If it was damaged in transit, then that goes to whomever caused the damage.

I would pass on the deal. It just doesn't seem legit.

Without know which bolt were replaced its impossible to say. If its the cover screws holding the electronics to the back of the pump might not be a big deal. If its the bolts that hold the pump housing to the motor I would be very suspect of how they got damaged. Also you didn't say which Pentair pump it is. A brand new Superflo VS pump retails for around 650 online. A brand new intelleflo retails in the 900-1200 range depending on the exact model.

The installer already replaced the bolts. He told me that 2 of 4 bolts broke. I'm wondering if longevity of pump will be affected by rough handling in transit. Sounds like I may be better getting a new pump

Depending on which bolts broke, it sounds like the pump was dropped, dropped on, or smashed into. And since he is trying to sell it, it appears like it was their fault and they probably know exactly how it happened. If it wasn't their fault, they would charge it to the mfg under warranty or the shipper for their damage. I'd pass if it was me. Too much risk on an expensive pump. MFG warranty usually doesn't cover damage for mishandling.

Glad to see that you decided to pass as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.