Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Summer Build- 2016 Rowlett, TX
OK, so my first pool building mistake was that I stumbled upon TFP AFTER the build. I can only imagine how helpful it would have been to have had access to the forums during the build....

So, instead of having post after post of the life of the build, I'm going to ramp it up and put it all in this post...hopefully if I figure out the links, etc...

Here it goes!

Starting planning our backyard oasis in April 2016. We waited to build until we were very comfortable that our then 10 year old triplet boys were accomplished swimmers as one has autism and knows no fear! We contacted three PB in the area. Each was recommended by different friends who expressed they had good experiences with them. We didn't really know what we wanted the pool to look like so we asked each to develop a design based on what they learned from talking to us. All were similar but one PB nailed it. One we decided we didn't want to consider just because we didn't mesh with each other. We provided the concept we wanted to the other PB and asked them to come up with a plan based on it. Both used Pentair equipment so that made it easier. However, for the BAFO, we made sure we were comparing apples to apples to apples on models, size, materials, etc. The end price of both were just a few thousand dollar apart so we went with the PB we thought would give the project the most attention and who we felt comfortable with. Although, the other would have built us a good pool as well.

Here's the design we chose:

pool.jpg

Final Product: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16,400 gallons. Equipment: Pentair SVRS variable speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Platinum cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. Dual Intermatic time clocks w/freeze guard. Air Supply of the Future 1.5 HP spa air blower. Zodiac Fusion copper/silver water purification.

We originally priced Oklahoma Flagstone but we really liked the grey look in the design so we began exploring options. We looked at Pennsylvania Flagstone which is grey but since flagstone is used in most pool builds in our area, we wanted to go with a different look. We ended up selecting Lueders Limestone which is comes in several varieties including a Lueders Charcoal and Lueders Blue which both are grey. We used it both for the coping and the 18' retaining wall across the back. We had our existing stamped concrete patio striped to match the new stamped concrete pool deck.

I time-lapse filmed each of the major steps (dig, gunite and plaster) so let's see if I can get them in here as well:

The Dig https://www.dropbox.com/s/zslrsp4sdz...%20PM.mp4?dl=0

Gunite
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm2sw7rixw...%20PM.mp4?dl=0

Plaster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irsz6w5n3s1jp79/Video Aug 01, 10 43 47 PM.mp4?dl=0

And FINALLY, the Walling Family PLUNGE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lluoag013d...%20PM.mp4?dl=0

There were a few issues along the way that were discovered after the start-up process but we are working through them :cool:

Thanks for reading!

Matt

Matt,

Very nicely done!!!!:goodpost:

Welcome to TFP.. What golf course are you on?

Do you plan to take care of the pool yourself or with a pool service? Most people here are dedicated DIY pool owners, so we always recommend taking care of your pool yourself and staying our of the pool store.

You might want to surf this site for more info on the "Zodiac Fusion copper/silver water purification", which is not seen as a positive asset here.

Again, welcome to TFP and thanks for the great post.

Jim R.

It's a beautiful design!!! Your builder designed a stunner! We have 7 year old triplets (identical boys and a girl) and are waiting on county approval to start our build. This site and forum are a fantistic resource. Welcome to the family and enjoy your beautiful pool������

Matt,

Very nicely done!!!!:goodpost:

Welcome to TFP.. What golf course are you on?

Do you plan to take care of the pool yourself or with a pool service? Most people here are dedicated DIY pool owners, so we always recommend taking care of your pool yourself and staying our of the pool store.

You might want to surf this site for more info on the "Zodiac Fusion copper/silver water purification", which is not seen as a positive asset here.

Again, welcome to TFP and thanks for the great post.

Jim R.

Jim,

I'm going to give maintaining it myself a shot! I ordered a K-2006C today. Thanks for the tip on the Zodiac...I will check out the posts.

It's Waterview Golf Course.

It's a beautiful design!!! Your builder designed a stunner! We have 7 year old triplets (identical boys and a girl) and are waiting on county approval to start our build. This site and forum are a fantistic resource. Welcome to the family and enjoy your beautiful pool������

Mothershipp,

Thank you! We are very satisfied with the design and materials used. I'll post pics of the deck in a few days. The stamped concrete turned out awesome!

Our boys love the pool! Just in case you are wondering...it gets easier each year!

That's great!!! Are you able to still use the pool at this time of year? Our kids are still swimmimg at bday/pool parties etc but the water is definitely getting cooler.
I agree completely. It has gotten easier every year. I loved the cutesy baby toddler years but the work load is much easier now. Ready for the fun maker in our back yard but I think the hurricane today is going to really slow us down. We evacuated from St. Augustine and our PB's office is three blocks from the beach. Not even sure their building will still be usable or there when we get back. Hope they are all safe.

Mothershipp, We have a Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU heater for the pool and spa. We used it last weekend for the boys' birthday. Pool temp was 75 degrees prior to heating and we raised it to 86. Kept it there for for about 36 hours. I checked my gas bill this week and it looks like it cost about 37 dollars. We are having another family get together tomorrow so I have it heating up as I type back to 86. Our plan is to fire it back up for Thanksgiving and Christmas as well.

I hope everyone is OK After Matthew and the pool is not delayed!

take care!

Thanks Brian!

We fired up the heater the last two weekends and have really enjoyed it. Ambient temp yesterday in the low 70's with the pool temp at 86 degrees....even the wife went swimming!

Is yours complete yet?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great design. And I loved the time-lapse videos. I wish I had thought of that. And the family plunge video is a nice tough. I live in Frisco and have just passed the gunite stage. Can't wait to get it finished.

If i may ask, why did you go with the K-2006C test kit?

I presume the cost will rise to heat the pool to 86 degrees as the calendar marches on. But $37 for a weekend of fun is a nice price at this point. Hopefully it stays at a "reasonable for you" level.

And the pool looks great!!!

Great design. And I loved the time-lapse videos. I wish I had thought of that. And the family plunge video is a nice tough. I live in Frisco and have just passed the gunite stage. Can't wait to get it finished.

If i may ask, why did you go with the K-2006C test kit?

I struggled with the choice but ended up deciding on the Taylor without a quantifiable reason. Used it once and like it a lot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I presume the cost will rise to heat the pool to 86 degrees as the calendar marches on. But $37 for a weekend of fun is a nice price at this point. Hopefully it stays at a "reasonable for you" level.

And the pool looks great!!!

I agree. I have a "Deep Heat" option which consists of 6 addition returns spread out in the bottom of the pool that I can direct the water from the heater to in order to more evenly distribute it. It is supposed to reduce heating costs by a good deal. I can't quantify that (don't want to spend the money) but it heats pretty quickly and there are no "cold spots". We'll see when Christmas gets here! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.