Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
OK, so my first pool building mistake was that I stumbled upon TFP AFTER the build. I can only imagine how helpful it would have been to have had access to the forums during the build....

So, instead of having post after post of the life of the build, I'm going to ramp it up and put it all in this post...hopefully if I figure out the links, etc...

Here it goes!

Starting planning our backyard oasis in April 2016. We waited to build until we were very comfortable that our then 10 year old triplet boys were accomplished swimmers as one has autism and knows no fear! We contacted three PB in the area. Each was recommended by different friends who expressed they had good experiences with them. We didn't really know what we wanted the pool to look like so we asked each to develop a design based on what they learned from talking to us. All were similar but one PB nailed it. One we decided we didn't want to consider just because we didn't mesh with each other. We provided the concept we wanted to the other PB and asked them to come up with a plan based on it. Both used Pentair equipment so that made it easier. However, for the BAFO, we made sure we were comparing apples to apples to apples on models, size, materials, etc. The end price of both were just a few thousand dollar apart so we went with the PB we thought would give the project the most attention and who we felt comfortable with. Although, the other would have built us a good pool as well.

Here's the design we chose:

pool.jpg

Final Product: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16,400 gallons. Equipment: Pentair SVRS variable speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Platinum cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. Dual Intermatic time clocks w/freeze guard. Air Supply of the Future 1.5 HP spa air blower. Zodiac Fusion copper/silver water purification.

We originally priced Oklahoma Flagstone but we really liked the grey look in the design so we began exploring options. We looked at Pennsylvania Flagstone which is grey but since flagstone is used in most pool builds in our area, we wanted to go with a different look. We ended up selecting Lueders Limestone which is comes in several varieties including a Lueders Charcoal and Lueders Blue which both are grey. We used it both for the coping and the 18' retaining wall across the back. We had our existing stamped concrete patio striped to match the new stamped concrete pool deck.

I time-lapse filmed each of the major steps (dig, gunite and plaster) so let's see if I can get them in here as well:

The Dig
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zslrsp4sdz3gyzj/Video Jun 28, 9 37 05 PM.mp4?dl=0

Gunite
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mm2sw7rixwwgcrw/Video Jul 06, 7 39 47 PM.mp4?dl=0

Plaster
https://www.dropbox.com/s/irsz6w5n3s1jp79/Video Aug 01, 10 43 47 PM.mp4?dl=0

And FINALLY, the Walling Family PLUNGE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lluoag013dn0h9r/Video Aug 06, 9 37 05 PM.mp4?dl=0

There were a few issues along the way that were discovered after the start-up process but we are working through them :cool:

Thanks for reading!

Matt

What a neat video! LOVE IT! Love the boys! They could hardly keep their feet on the wall before the JUMP! CUTE!

What are you using to test the water with?

I see you have this "Zodiac Fusion copper/silver water purification" in your signature. I would love for you to read this:

Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

You will see that the copper will end up being a major problem with your pretty new pool and all of that blond hair. It is the copper that turns hair green NOT chlorine :shock:

Here is the corner stone link for TFP:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I have a set of links for new pool owners if you are interested.

:kim:

What a neat video! LOVE IT! Love the boys! They could hardly keep their feet on the wall before the JUMP! CUTE!
What are you using to test the water with?

I see you have this "Zodiac Fusion copper/silver water purification" in your signature. I would love for you to read this:

Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!

You will see that the copper will end up being a major problem with your pretty new pool and all of that blond hair. It is the copper that turns hair green NOT chlorine

Thanks Kimkat! A lot of the jumping around was that it was over 100 degrees that day and the coping was blistering our feet!!

I just ordered a K-2006C yesterday. I have been relying on my PB supplied test kit and a couple of water analysis trips to the pool store. I've learned quickly that that is not the way to go...add this to fix this and this to fix that and then this to lower this and this to raise that.....

Thanks for the article on the copper. Why on earth do PB push that stuff when the potential for problems are high??

$$$$ is the main reason and the fact that MOST of them just do not know really know the science behind it all...........here at TFP we are science based and daily tested on thousands of pools!

You will LOVE having your own test kits! The boys can do the tests as well. Make sure to get a small note book to keep your test results in. You will find that is VERY helpful to learn your pool's needs and patterns. I even put in big weather events so I can look back on what it does to the levels.

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.