Does One Inch Water Loss Per Day = Leak?

TortugaCat

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2016
Boston, MA
We are currently losing one inch of water per day. Our pool heater has been off since the night of September 23 and water temperature has been low 60's / high 50's. We have not used the pool or spa since then, but both are currently open. Last week was rainy, cold and humid with highs at the beginning of the week in the mid to upper 60's and lowered into the 50's as the week progressed.

The spa has a spillover into the pool that runs for four hours per day: 12PM-2PM and 10PM-12AM.

There is a solar cover on the spa, but nothing on the pool.

I used an online calculator that told me that one inch of water loss for our pool (40x16) was about 400 gallons. This seems to me like way more than water would occur with evaporation. But our PB is saying he thinks it is normal and not a leak.

In doing research (and pardon my ignorance) it seems that seeing bubbles can be an indication of a leak. When at least one of our in-floor cleaning heads comes on there are bubbles that come out - sort of like it's spitting. Could this be relevant?

I will try the bucket test tonight, but I would appreciate any other insight or suggestions that you might have about this problem.

Thanks!

Bucket test results after 12 hours point to it being a leak. Water in pool lower than water in bucket. Waiting for PB to arrive.

Edited to add that the water level in the pool is 1/4 inch lower than that in the bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a small leak somewhere around the salt generator which they fixed. They did a dye test around the lights and skimmer and found nothing. They think the water loss is a mix of evaporation, the spillway, and the small leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.