Boost Pump and Skimmer Questions

Well, I have officially made it to my first year as a new pool owner. Thankfully, I found this forum to learn a thing or two and it has been quite helpful.
So now it is the end of the year and I come to ask a couple of more questions.

1. I have a Pentair Boost Pump Model # 7-1874600-20 that needs an impeller replacement. Is there a kit including required seals? I think that I can do it myself but am not opposed to taking into the shop.
  2. My pool service company has turned down the suction on my skimmers due to the noise they make when turned up. The output jets in the pool hiccup as though there is air in the line and the pool pump gets really noisy. Now that they are turned down I have a ton of junk floating on the top of my water.

Thank you.

Yes, thank you. I think that is the kit I am looking for. I will need to double check for my own sanity. Not really sure how it got damaged. I am thinking old age, but not certain.

The noise comes from the pump area and the output jets in the pool. A lesser noise comes from the skimmer itself. I have had a couple of pool guys verify the level is good.
I will have to look more into the stuck weir question. I am not certain and don't want to give the wrong response.

Thank you.

So I checked both my skimmers. One of them the weir is moving open/close without issue. The other appears to be stuck in the down (horizontal) position.

I checked for any obstructions in the suction lines but did not find any. I removed both the skimmer valves and did not find anything in the pipes. If there is a blockage somewhere else in the line how would I remove it?

I have had a couple of pool guys verify the level is good.
Pool Guys? Anyway, is the water level half way up the opening of the skimmer?

How did the pool service turn down the skimmers? If they are restricting the suction side, that can be an issue with the pump. If they are opening the MD, then would be ok. Maybe a picture of your pad equipment and plumbing would help.

Yes, pool guys. I am a newbie and have two skimmers that were showing different water levels. A couple of pool guys were in the neighborhood and I wanted to make sure I was looking at them correctly. It appears that one side of my pool is slightly lower than the other.

20161006_141040.jpg20161006_141047.jpg

The service turned the two valves at the bottom / middle of the pictures. I was told that they control on the level of suction on my skimmers.

Thank you for the help.

The valves do control the level of suction on the skimmers but it also increases head loss and can cause the pump to leak air. If when you have those open, they make more noise, it could be because the skimmers are creating a vortex. Fully open those valves and look inside the skimmer and see if there is a vortex sucking air. If so, the water level is too low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.