How to keep spa open year round without use of salt system.

Oct 4, 2016
St Louis
We have just purchased and completed the installation of an inground fiberglass pool with a built in spa from Leisure Pools. The pool is called The Ultimate The Ultimate | Leisure Pools USA The spa is heated and can be controlled independently of the pool so when we close it this year (soon) we will keep the spa open year round. I am almost 100% positive the spa when operated independently does not go through the salt system (checking with pool builder as we speak). Having said that, what are some alternatives to close the pool over the winter season, while keeping the spa chlorinated? Could I have a floating chlorine dispenser in the spa or any other/better recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

We have just purchased and completed the installation of an inground fiberglass pool with a built in spa from Leisure Pools. The pool is called The Ultimate The Ultimate | Leisure Pools USA The spa is heated and can be controlled independently of the pool so when we close it this year (soon) we will keep the spa open year round. I am almost 100% positive the spa when operated independently does not go through the salt system (checking with pool builder as we speak). Having said that, what are some alternatives to close the pool over the winter season, while keeping the spa chlorinated? Could I have a floating chlorine dispenser in the spa or any other/better recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike

Spoke to the pool builder and he recommended I have a floating chlorine dispenser. Anyone disagree?

Not if it's got pucks. They add CYA, which won't go away. When it gets too high it'll interfere with the chlorine.

We keep ours running year round by putting it inside.

Better would be bleach, as it doesn't add CYA. But, one could surely argue that the smallish quantity chlorine from a winter's worth of spa maintenance would be small enough it will add very little CYA after that water gets mixed with the pool in the spring.

There are valid reasons why the standard method is to plumb the SWG cell on the pool-side return only. If you fully grok these reasons and have the appropriate control system to avoid the problems, then, I'd argue it's more flexible to have the cell upstream of the return selection valve, which would solve your problem of seasonal pool usage. I really doubt standard pool controllers can handle this level of "sophistication", even if it is a rather trivial bit of logic.

you could absolutely use trichlor pucks to chlorinate your spa.

As long as you are aware of their acidic nature, and counteract the falling alkilinity/PH, and keep the dissolving effluent away from your equipment.

Also, you need to be aware that for every 10ppm free chlorine added via trichlor, 6ppm CYA is added as well.

You need to be able to test for CYA, and free chlorine without shlepping a water sample to some store.

It is certainly doable. Spas are nice in the cooler part of the year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.