Pool bottom springy

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
We have had a lot of rain the last month to 6 weeks. Last night was no exception. My lanai and pool both borderline flooded.

After cleaning and re-testing chems, I decide to cool off in the pool. I take about two steps, and I feel the bottom giving a little, almost like a spring board.

Any thoughts if this could this just be the elevated water levels underground from the torrential rains we have been experiencing?

Do you happen to recall what was used for your base (pea gravel, sand?). If it was sand, it almost sounds like perhaps some of it settled leaving a small void in that area where the shell is flexing. Shouldn't be a concern unless the "giving" spreads more or you begin to see any changes in the shell itself (i.e. hairline cracks). Those shells are quite durable. Your water table could be influencing the base from underneath and/or perhaps some surface water seepage has traveled down along the pool sides causing it to settle more after initial construction. I know mine settled just a tiny bit.

We just bought this house in May, so I have no idea about the construction.

I've "closed" the pool for a couple of days to allow the water to settle, then I'll check it again. Tnx

I just got in the pool to test that bottom give. It seemed solid and stable.

I'm guessing the water table and/or some water getting up to the coping and running down the outside was just below the pool. All seems fine.

I know this is an old thread of mine, but my pool bottom spring board happened again.

Friday-Monday we had a total rainfall of >9 inches. My wife just told me that she felt a little "squishiness" in the same spot that I did last year.

I just hope there is not a catastrophic failure of the pool someday!

I believe it was common practice to use sand for the base of a FG pool. Problems with this caused the use of crushed limestone. Sand in water will get jelly like and shift, won't stay solid like limestone. Hope it works out for you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.