Silver Supporter
May 1, 2016
Hopkinton, MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Please bear with me.. I have read through closing, and numerous posts. Our pool sends very simple and straightforward..
Here are my details and questions..
1) we have one thing that sucks water to the filter that is in the shallow end, and one in the deep end. There are two"jets" that return the water to the pool.
Do I cap off the jets first, then turn on the filter, or the suckers first? And if I cap the suckers, how do I get the water out of the bottom sucker line?
2) Will we need something more than a wet Dry Vac? Looking to buy either the 6hp rigid, or one from Amazon made in USA called Workshop 6.5hp?
3) if we get frozen in winter(Massachusetts) do i need to make sure water covers the top step?

Here are pics of the setup we have.. IMG_2545.jpg1475594205655915300682.jpg1475594264677-161233757.jpg

1) we have one thing that sucks water to the filter that is in the shallow end, and one in the deep end. There are two"jets" that return the water to the pool.

It looks like you have a skimmer and main drain, with 2 shut off valves. It also looks like you 2 returns, which you mentioned before, but no shut off valves (hard to tell from pictures)

2) Do I cap off the jets first, then turn on the filter, or the suckers first? And if I cap the suckers, how do I get the water out of the bottom sucker line?

There really is no order, it is all a matter of preference. Depending on your blower/compressor and were you hook it up, you may have to isolate certain areas. Close off the suction side with the valves, skimmer and main drain and blow out the return lines and cap them off with black rubber expandable plugs. Then close off the return line, either at the filter or place a black plug in the pump basket. Now move on to the skimmer first and remove all the water. Place a Gizmo in the skimmer. Next blow out the main drain and allow it to bubble for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Quickly close the valve to create an "air lock" and shut off pump not to build up too much back pressure. Install another black plug inside pump basket to protect the main drain line in the vent the valve fails.

3) Will we need something more than a wet Dry Vac? Looking to buy either the 6hp rigid, or one from Amazon made in USA called Workshop 6.5hp?

This is hard to answer, at least for me. I work with the Cyclone, even though I own a compressor and wet vac. There have been many members that have had great success with both, including the main drain. There have been members who were successful, but had issues blowing out the main drain. I believe it all depends on the depth of the deep end, the distance that air must travel and the size of the plumbing, which could require a better equipped blower. A good blower requires more volume, not pressure.

4) if we get frozen in winter(Massachusetts) do i need to make sure water covers the top step?

No big deal.

Thank you so much! Off to buy the wet Dry Vac and compressor this week. I think we have all the right plugs from the previous closing done by the pool company. I will make sure to inventory the plugs before starting, so I don't get 75% done and not be able to finish. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.