Help, I mixed two brands of shock!

OuiOui

Oct 4, 2016
Picayune, MS
I mixed two different brands of shock, and it had a violent explosion, or rather several violent explosions, kind of like powerful fireworks going off, and sounded like a bomb. Thankfully no one was near the bucket when it went off, we were cleaning the skimmer basket on opposite side of the pool. Now I am afraid to go near the bucket, and am unsure of how to dispose of the chemicals remaining in the bucket. We normally mix the shock with water, and pour it into the skimmer, since it is a vinyl pool liner. Is is safe to pour it into the skimmer now, or is there a proper way of disposing of it? Also, is it safe to pour our regular shock into the skimmer like we have been doing, with a different brand of chlorine tablets in the automated clorinator? I knew not to mix different chemicals, but I did not know not to mix different brands.

Welcome to TFP. Good to have you here :) Glad to hear no one was near the bucket.

We can guess on this one, but it would be best if you list the two products, including brand name, product name, chemical name and %, and the quantity you put in the bucket. Unfortunately chem companies use the word 'shock' to describe several different chemicals.

You'll get the best possible advice here by filling out your signature (see mine below this post). There's a link in mine called "Read before posting" which includes some great tips and explanations, including how to fill out your signature.

Almost sounds like perhaps you mixed cal-hyp with another type of shock (i.e. trichlor or dichlor). Cal-Hypo is often used in bags of shock and is fine once it is mixed in the pool as it becomes calcium in your water. Trichlor is acidic and in very concentrated levels can be dangerous. In general, we never want to mix chemicals in a concentrated area (i.e. bucket). It's just too tight an area - much like an in-line feeder where we always warn people not to mix the type of tablets/pucks.

In most cases, it's always best to add your product to the pool itself. Most liquids are slowly introduced to the pool near the return jets, while a few powdered items may be broadcast spread around the deep end then brushed around. Most times we do this with the pump running and separate mixing chemicals by 20-30 minutes, perhaps a little longer depending upon your pool's circulation. We never encourage adding anything directly to the skimmer as some products are very acidic and can cause damage to that area.

You can also find tips on how we recommend adding products to the pool from the Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals page.

Generally you don't want to pour chems into skimmers. Generally you don't want to premix or decant chemicals. If you read pool school you will find the TFP method does not require these practices

Use a long broom handle to push your bucket into the pool and then sink it.

I have read up on mixing the chemicals, since the explosion, and I know now what I did was very wrong and that God was watching over me. I will never do it again. I have also found the answer to my question about adding the shock to the skimmer with tablets in the Automatic chlorine feeder. (Don't) What I have not learned, and still need to know is how to dispose of the bucket that still has chemicals in it. I'm not into using the broom handle method, I need another option. Below is the chemicals that I am currently using. The Trichloro-s-triazinetrione tablets in the Automatic Chlorine Feeder and I normally add 3lbs of Refresh to a 25lb bucket full of water, stir until mostly dissolved, and slowly pour into strainer while pump is running. This is the way the pool store told me to use it for a vinyl liner.
Last Friday evening, we were going to shock the pool, and I only had 2 lbs of Refresh, I had some Members Mark quick acting shock that we had quit using because it didn't do a good job, so I added a 1 lb bag of this to the bucket. I stirred it very little, and brought the bucket to the side of the pool and left it there for a few minutes while I cleaned the opposite skimmer. That is when it started exploding.
It has been sitting outside in the sun since Friday, that is 4 days. Will is still be volatile? I have been afraid to touch it. I have been told by the pool supply stores not to pour the granules straight into the vinyl liner pool. I am retired, and inherited the pool with the purchase of my home 2 years ago, the pool came with no instruction manual.

Add to Automatic Chlorine Feeder:
Member's Mark® Chlorinating Tablets stabilized
99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione
90% Available chlorine
1% Other Ingredients
3" tablets

Normal Shock used:
Regal Refresh contains 65% available chlorine.
Granular calcium hypochlorite kills bacteria, destroys organic contaminants and controls algae. .
Chemical Name CAS# Wt.%
Calcium Hypochlorite 7778-54-3 68
Calcium Hydroxide 1305-62-0 3 - 7
Calcium Carbonate 471-34-1 1 - 2.5

Member's Mark® Quick Dissolving Shock Stabilizer
Contains Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetrione, Hydrated

33,000 gal, 40' X 20' Vinyl liner in-ground pool, Pentair Tagelus Model TA 60 sand filter with Hayward automatic Chlorine Feeder, Polaris 280 with Polaris Booster Pump .75HP,

Thanks for the update. So yes, you appear to have two types of sanitizer - Trichlor (tabs) and cal-hypo. If you were not aware, the Trichlor tabs are acidic which can lower pH slightly, but they also have lots of stabilizer in them which continuously raises CYA to high levels. The cal-hypo adds calcium (CH) to your water. We typically recommend not using the in-line feeders with tabs for that very reason - high CYA. With a vinyl pool normally CH is not an issue unless it gets really high in which case you would not want to use the cal-hypo bags anymore.

Suggestion - cut the cord now and switch to regular liquid bleach. No more tablets or bags of shock. Bleach is chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) and has little to no side effects in the pool. You probably use it for laundry so you are familiar with its use and safety. Simply add the required amount to your water each evening and you are done. We pour bleach slowly near the returns jets while the pump is running to help it mix efficiently. You can brush a little if needed as well. Bleach is also relatively cheap. Most of those pool store products are way over-priced and as I mentioned above tend to add additional by-products your pool doesn't need.

In my signature below is a link to "Recommended Chemicals". I would encourage you to use those products only and also use the other links below to assist you in your daily water management. Much easier, no extra mixing, and should be much easier on your checkbook. I don't recall above if you mentioned how you are testing your water, so I hope you are using either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit of your own. If not, I would highly encourage that as well. Hope this helps. If you still have a question or concern, please let us know.

Thanks so much for the reply, and the information. Where do you normally buy the liquid bleach, and is it a stronger kind especially for pools? My pool is large!

Also, do you have any suggestions for disposing of the bucket of chemicals that exploded? Only one person addressed this issue, and said to: "Use a long broom handle to push your bucket into the pool and then sink it". I can't do that, it is sitting about 2 feet off the ground on a brick bbq pt.

I would think the volatile properties in that bucket are gone by now (4 days). You could take it over to the pool and slowly pour it in near a return jet. Nice & slow with nothing else added for about 30 minutes. As for the bleach, any local grocery store will do. Many people will just buy the Wal-Mart "Great Value" bleach for about $2.98 per gallon. Whatever bleach you purchase, make sure it's "plain/regular". You do not want any splashless or scented products. The main ingredient in bleach is "sodium hypochlorite" and the percentage should also be marked on the bottle (i.e. 8.25%, 10%, etc).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's funny...I tell people that I plan to use liquid bleach in my pool instead of chlorine tabs and most said i'm crazy and they won't be comfortable swimming in it.
As for the bucket, perhaps you can use a hose to add more water to it. I can't imagine it still has unmixed chemicals in it - they have already reacted. But additional water will even further dilute it. Then just dump it in the pool.

Or call a bomb squad to remove!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.