Leak - But from where???

Oct 3, 2016
Houston TX
A few weeks ago I noticed water seeping from the drain which drains the pool overflow and the run off from the decking around the pool. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the flow of the water from the drain increased when I turned on my pool pumps. I ruled out water coming from the overflow drain or from any cracks in the pool. After contacting my pool construction company they said they believed it to be a pump's overflow valve. They are sending out a "Leak Detector" guy later this week who is set to charge me $400 just to locate the leak.

As a result, I am here, on this forum. I am have no idea how a leak from the pump could end up in the drain. The pool company said they never use glue when constructing the drain pipes and they feel the overflow valve is leaking into a section that might have shifted and come apart.

Anyone have any ideas? I sure would like to save $400.

My pool is an in-ground pool, 110 linear feet and 40,000 gallons.

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here :)

I haven't heard of a pump overflow valve before. If you have a multiport valve in the filter, take a look at the sight tube and see if there's any flow coming from a backwash line to your drains. That would suggest the spider gasket in the filter is leaking. It's the only way I can think of that water might go from the pump directly to a drain line.

No glue on drain lines is weird. I glue them so roots won't grow into them, but to each their own I suppose.

You can do a bucket test to see how much water you're losing. That technique and other tips can be found in this link: Pool School - Leak Detection

Some better helpers than me will come along and you can likely save the $400 by working through it here on TFP.

When you get a chance, add a signature (see mine below). There's an explanation of how t do it in the link in my signature: "Read before posting"

I hope you get it sorted out soon :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.