Started the conversion Thursday afternoon

Jun 6, 2009
We started the conversion Thursday afternoon and have dumped a ton of bleach in our 16x32 inground pool. Friday the water was very ugly, Sat a pretty light green. by last night we could see the water was clearing and this morning the pool was sparkling clear. The FC level was at 16 at 7:00 am this morning. Did not add any bleach today. We did a test tonight at 6:00 pm. After mixing powder in the test water it was completely clear. Checked the total clorine with the small test kit and it above 5. I'm confused, any ideas on what to do next. Thanks, Ann

Welcome to TFP!

Can you tell us what you are using for testing? Also, what was the FC last night after the final chemical addition?

If FC is zero, and TC is 5+, then CC must be fairly high. That is to be expected. CC often runs quite high during a baqucil conversion.

There is also some chance that you are doing the FC test incorrectly, but there is nothing in what you said to suggest that. If you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test, which it kind of sounds like you do, you should be able to measure FC and CC separately.

In any case, you should do an overnight FC loss test tonight. If you lose 1.0 ppm or less of FC overnight you are ready to move on to the final stage of the conversion.

Thanks for getting back to me so soon. We ordered your test kit and started the conversion after we got it Thursday. It is a great kit. We added 3 gallons of bleach waited an hour and tested, right now we are at 15.5 FC level, and our CC is.5. Will test early in the morning. Hopefully, we will be ready for the next step.

Thanks to you, we now have a beautiful clear pool. Everything is working great. I check the clorine levels each day and the rest weekly. My only problem now are remaining stains from last summer. The deep end looks bad and a few stains in the shallow end. I don't what caused them, some look almost like rust. And they are stubborn to remove. I spent a fortune at the pool store while using Baquacil and nothing worked. I am going to enjoy my clear pool for awhile and then tackle the stain issues. Again, thank you so much for your website and the excellent advise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.