New build proposal in GA, would like some feedback

Jul 17, 2016
Cumming, GA
All, I'd like some critique here on my purposed build; I've removed all the pricing as I'm not looking for that just if there's anything I need to add/subtract here. Also some thoughts on the draw-up from the PB. The fire-pots will be nixed due to cost, I can't justify the cost plus I have the fire-pit for "fire."

Pool is 34 x 18’10”
Pool Area: 500
Deck Area: 975
Avg Depth: 4.8
Int. Area: 984.8
Gallons: 18,000
Depth (3'-6')

w001_zpsekpsgxpq.jpg

w005_zpss23nensu.jpg

w008_zpsbuueak5n.jpg

w002_zpsp9zdiqwg.jpg

Pool Specifications:
Pool perimeter (per foot) 101
Dig / Form Pool
Dirt Haul if Necessary

Plumbing:
Sheer Descent (3)
Sheer Descent Plumbing (3)
Pool Base Plumbing Includes 30ft (1)
Sunshelf Bubbler (1)

Steel for Pool:
Steel Pool 101
Steel Extras (1)

Shotcrete for Pool:
Shotcrete 101
Steps, Benches, Raised Beam (5)

Electrical
Electrical For Pool (1)

Masonry:
columns (2)
Fire Pit Standard (1)

Tile \ Coping
Tile \ Coping (101)
Stack Stone (35)
Finger ledge (22)

Decking
Color scored concrete (975sq/ft)
Grading drainage (1)

Interior Finish:
Pebble Finish (500 sq/ft)

Pool Equipment:
Jandy Pool Package (1)
Jandy FHPM1.5 Flo Pro Pump, WFTR 80 Water Feature
Pump 80GPM, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Fusion
Nature2/Tab Feeder, Paramount UltraUV System, PF1102T
Timer w/Freeze Protection, PX100 Transformer 100W, P-
200B Water Bonding Fitting, Paramount Glow 3" Program
Lights 100 ft Cord x 3, 9450 Robotic Cleaner

Misc. \ Start Up Fees:
Pole, Brush, Test Kit and Pool School (1)
Startup \ Pool School (1)
Erosion Control (1)

Looks good....except lose the Nature2 and the UV system and go with a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG). The Nature2 adds metals (copper, silver) to your water and will cause staining to your pool surface. Lots of folks regret this and come here for help after the fact. Save yourself that trouble!

The UV system isn't needed in a residential outdoor pool- you've got a big hot Georgia sun shining its UV rays down on the pool and helping rid it of CCs. You still need chlorine with a UV system so....why bother buying it?

Keep us posted with the build. Its going to be gorgeous!

Yippee :flower:

Welcome! I would +1 the move to salt water system.

I would suggest having at least one mount for umbrella. We have built in table with a mount for umbrella, so gives a nice area in pool under 10' umbrella for escaping the hot GA sun when relaxing in pool.

What they said, but also upgrade to a 2 speed or variable speed pump to save on electricity (most of the variable speed pumps have basic built in timers, so that is another place to save money)

What a awesome design! Look classic! This will be a fun one to watch.

If you use the IMG code you can have the pics right in your thread.Makes it much easier for all to see.

I would love to see a picture of where the pool is going.

How many returns and where will they be located? Lights? Skimmer?

:kim:

I agree with dumping the Nature2 and the UV system.. I have a SWG and love it, but you can also use a Stenner pump system.

Since you are not getting the fire pits on the waterfall wall, I suggest that you have them run low voltage wiring to where the fire bowls are now. Not as fancy as a fire pit, but lighting would still look cool as an accent on the wall. If you don't get the wiring preinstalled, it will be much harder to do later.

Jim R.

What a awesome design! Look classic! This will be a fun one to watch.

If you use the IMG code you can have the pics right in your thread.Makes it much easier for all to see.

I would love to see a picture of where the pool is going.

How many returns and where will they be located? Lights? Skimmer?

:kim:

According to the PB we would have two skimmers and three or for returns. The PB really does not like use a Salt-Clorinator (Salt system) and tells me that they'll install a Salt system but I'll have no warranty. Of course this is a red flag for me so I'm somewhat stuck; I like this PB and their work but they're really don't like salt systems.

Did he say *why* he doesn't like them? Like- "I don't make as much money off them as I do selling fairly useless UV and mineral systems"?

The bottom line is all pools end up being "salt" pools, as chlorine is used it leaves behind slight salt residue. After a couple of years its measurable although it poses absolutely no problems to the pools.

Did he say *why* he doesn't like them? Like- "I don't make as much money off them as I do selling fairly useless UV and mineral systems"?

The bottom line is all pools end up being "salt" pools, as chlorine is used it leaves behind slight salt residue. After a couple of years its measurable although it poses absolutely no problems to the pools.

Claims the salt causing issues with pumps and other components, also bad on the Pebbletec. Should I go with someone else over this?

He is wrong. There are millions of pools with Pebbletec and salt. You can always add salt later of course (especially if he leaves you room in the equipment pad plumbing) but you definitely want to avoid that mineral system as that is outright damaging to finishes and the UV system is just wasted money.

Yippee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the PB doesn't want to install a salt system, then ask him to do a liquid chlorine dosing pump (Stenner pump). Or have install an inline puck chlorinator (which you will rarely use) and install a salt system after the fact.

Look up "alternative sanitizers" in the search box and you'll find hundreds of threads on the subject. UV/mineral systems do not allow you to use any less chlorine despite the bogus sales claims. UV is a waste of money and minerals (copper ions) will eventually stain your plaster surface requiring a very costly chemical process to remove stains.

I have had my salt pool, with concrete decking, flagstone coping, natural stone waterfall and PebbleTec finish running for years now. Not a single problem with any of the equipment or the pool materials. In short, the claims the PB is making about damage are scare-tactics to get you to buy at high cost to you, a cheap, high profit margin system from him.

Finally, warranties are fairly worthless. The PBs warranty will cover major catastrophic defects in workmanship which almost never happen. Minor warranty repairs will be fought tooth & nail by the PB and his subs as warranty work is a money loser to them. They will blame you for everything that goes wrong as a way of weaseling out of the work. Finally, any warranty work you can get them to do will often only cover materials, you will still have to pay them for labor and labor cost will be the lion's share of the bill.

How many quotes/PBs have you've gotten? If this is your first, put it on the shelf and keep looking.

I have 5 quotes total, this PB is cheaper by a few K of the next one up. I'm meeting up with the owner on Saturday to discuss options, if I get any further red flags I'll move on. Shame, this outfit seems to have some great ideas with regards to design and the like.

If the PB doesn't want to install a salt system, then ask him to do a liquid chlorine dosing pump (Stenner pump). Or have install an inline puck chlorinator (which you will rarely use) and install a salt system after the fact.

Look up "alternative sanitizers" in the search box and you'll find hundreds of threads on the subject. UV/mineral systems do not allow you to use any less chlorine despite the bogus sales claims. UV is a waste of money and minerals (copper ions) will eventually stain your plaster surface requiring a very costly chemical process to remove stains.

I have had my salt pool, with concrete decking, flagstone coping, natural stone waterfall and PebbleTec finish running for years now. Not a single problem with any of the equipment or the pool materials. In short, the claims the PB is making about damage are scare-tactics to get you to buy at high cost to you, a cheap, high profit margin system from him.

Finally, warranties are fairly worthless. The PBs warranty will cover major catastrophic defects in workmanship which almost never happen. Minor warranty repairs will be fought tooth & nail by the PB and his subs as warranty work is a money loser to them. They will blame you for everything that goes wrong as a way of weaseling out of the work. Finally, any warranty work you can get them to do will often only cover materials, you will still have to pay them for labor and labor cost will be the lion's share of the bill.

How many quotes/PBs have you've gotten? If this is your first, put it on the shelf and keep looking.

See if they/he is willing to negotiate on his warranty. Perhaps he might be willing to warranty things like the coping so long as it's poured concrete and not natural stone. The equipment is usually warrantied by the manufacturer and none of them, as far as I know, have exclusions based on SWG use (most offer SWGs). So "being hard in the equipment" is a non-issue. PebbleTec is also warrantied through PebbleTec itself so if there were an issue with salt, they wouldn't certify installers to do it. Make sure that you are getting PebbleTec installed by a PebbleTec "Certified" installer.

Another thing to think about - I see you have a water fall feature, which is very nice. You may want to consider a fountain which you could optionally run at night. I wish I had installed this in mine here in Monroe, GA. I have full sun most of the day. Pool was getting up into the 90s at the peak of the summer. I bought a couple of fountains that I installed into returns at night, and this lowered the water temp to 82ish. Wish I had installed these into my pool deck with valve control so I could just turn on as needed. If your water falls are moving a lot of water then they may be sufficient.

Update:

Well it's been quite busy for the past few months from my last post. We broke ground on 12/19/16 and I'm nearing the end of construction; currently I'm waiting on the concrete decking and Pebble-Tec to be completed this next week (weather permitting.)

i do do have a general dumb question since this is my first pool construction; what should I expect with 'cleanup?' My pool budget didn't include any landscaping, that I plan on doing mostly by myself and a landscaper I've used in the past. Still, I have mounds of dirt and tire-sized rock heaped up next to where the pool is being constructed. Part of the plans is 'general cleanup' but I'm starting to wonder if the builder has intentions of clearing that up. I expect "light grading" and of course grass, planting and general landscaping to fall to me but am I wrong here? No, I haven't mentioned anything to the builder as of yet, I'm operating on faith and benefit of the doubt that this will be part of clean-up. To point, the builder has been dead on and I've been happy (minus misunderstanding the need for a small retaining wall which was part of driving my decking higher than budget.)

Sorry for no photos, I need to clean them up and host them.

Depends on what you agreed upon. The excavator should have taken away most of the soil/dirt and left some for the other contractors. Any left after that has to be hauled away and that usually costs money. "Cleanup" prior to surfacing the pool usually means clean out the pool. The decking subcontractor will likely remove any soil they disturb in their own grading but they won't take away someone else's debris.

You should probably have an honest conversation with the PB regarding this. The boulders/rocks will be costly to haul away and remove. Can you use them at all in you landscaping plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.