Advice Please: Pool Store $$$ vs REAL people... lol

Re: Sand Filter flow into pool-help...

Thanks, Tex, that was my thought. On the research I've done, plugged laterals came up, channeled sand, etc. That's why I didn't know if we should fix it now, or wait til spring. Was reading about the deep cleaning. Or if we should just start from scratch as if it were new.. Empty, take everything out, inspect lats, new sand, etc.

Thanks, Tex, that was my thought. On the research I've done, plugged laterals came up, channeled sand, etc. That's why I didn't know if we should fix it now, or wait til spring. Was reading about the deep cleaning. Or if we should just start from scratch as if it were new.. Empty, take everything out, inspect lats, new sand, etc.
Really a personal choice Pam. As temps are dropping in your area, many are closing their pools anyways. Some might just close and say ... "See ya next year filter!" Other owners might be the type who disconnect equipment and take it to the garage or somewhere out of the harsh elements, so they'll inspect a bit more. At the very least you'll have to drain the filter to prevent freeze and swelling/bursting. So that may be a good opportunity to either try a deep cleaning to see if it helps, or remove the sand and inspect everything inside. Again, it could go either way. You're learning a TON already, and have made great decisions to take charge of your pool. With water temps dropping, you're in a good position where you have some time to make choices based on your schedule. Don't let it overwhelm you. Post back with questions as you go and many here will be glad to help.

When you turn-off the pump, there should be zero pressure. So if it's reading something around 20-24 when turned-off, you know the gauge is bad (as you suspected already). Once you do the gauge swap, you can then do a good filter cleaning to try and find what we call your clean "baseline" pressure. For example, your clean/baseline filter pressure may be 15 psi. So when it increases 25% above that number (about 18 - 20 psi) you know it's time to backwash. :) I suspect you'll learn a lot about the true condition of your filter once you get a chance to open it up and inspect everything thoroughly.

Re: Sand Filter flow into pool-help...

ok. got the test kit. 0 for chlorine, (no surprise), added 23 oz bleach according to the calc to bring it (hopefully) to 2. ( I had read between 1 and 3, so figured 2 was a good start). added the amount of baking soda to bring TA up to 140, figured that was good. CYA test flopped. I emptied the whole red capped bottle into the tube and could still see the black dot. Followed the directions to a t. <<help>>. Have not checked the ph/fc daily test as the bleach has been only in for 20 mins ish. Any thoughts on the CYA test. I'm having fun, it's like Chem 101 all over again... lol.

Thanks SO much for all your help. Pool itself is winterized. Have a question on the filter: Drained it, blew through with a compressor per someone's advice I read, (sorry, I forgot who), took the multi valve off to store inside for winter. Does the pvc pipe that goes down to the laterals supposed to have some water in it? hubby is concerned, I don't remember reading anything pertaining to that .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.