Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with Sand Filter Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with Sand Filter Question

Got my very first pool up and running a short 21 hours ago. Had the pump running since I filled it with water, no problems. However, I just checked it again (3 hours shy of running for 24 straight hours) and there is a light but steady flow of water coming from the backwash drain. Enough to make a little puddle below it. Normally, the PSI was running at 10-11 thoughout the day, but it is down to 8 when I noticed the light flow of water coming from it. Being a new pool owner, I'm not sure why this would be happening, so any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
    10,000 Gallon AG, Hayward Power-Flo LX Pump, SandMaster High-Rate Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Newbie with Sand Filter Question

This may not fix it but it's very easy to try.

Shut the pump off first and then rotate the multiport valve (slowly) thru each position clockwise until you return to the filter position.

Turn the pump back on and observe the leak.

Hopefully, the multi-port valve simply isn't positioned just right and that will get it back in place.

Others will have better ideas if that doesn't work.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Duraleigh,

Thanks for the advice. I just went to try that, and when I pushed down on the lever prior to moving positions, a very heavy stream of water came pouring out of it. I didn't know if it was going to stop on its own, so I let go of the lever (and left it in the normal filter position), fired it up, and the leak stopped.

That doesn't sound normal to me, but I'm new at this stuff. Is it?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Was the pump running when you pushed down on the lever?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

perfectly normal...when you depress your multiport lever water comes out the backwash port...glad that fixed it for you
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

No, it was off. Would the water have stopped on its own? I was getting quite a puddle so I decided to put it back in the filter position. And after 10 minutes of running it after that happened, water started to trickle out again.

Thank you for your quick responses, by the way.

7. Back To Top    #7

No, the flow probably wouldn't have stopped. This is assuming your equipment is below the waterline of the pool. If you have valves before and after the equipment, you'll want to close those when you work on it. If you don't get some plugs(or anything that will seal the inlet and return) and put those in.

If it started dripping again, I'd try fully rotating it around as was suggested in another post. Maybe even putting it on Recirc. and seeing if it drips on that setting too.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

8. Back To Top    #8

I will try it tomorrow. Thanks again, everyone.

9. Back To Top    #9

Are you still noticing lower-than-usual filter pressure as well? While you've got your valves closed open up the pump and check the strainer basket and impeller for debris.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    Are you still noticing lower-than-usual filter pressure as well? While you've got your valves closed open up the pump and check the strainer basket and impeller for debris.
    Haven't had much of a chance to check it yet, spishex. Got some bad storms supposedly coming tonight, so it may be another day before I can troubleshoot. So, when the weather clears, and I figure out what an impeller is, I'll check! Thanks for the feedback.

11. Back To Top    #11

The impeller is the part on the end of the motor shaft that actually moves the water. I can usually reach them by taking out the strainer basket and reaching through the hole from the basket to the impeller (motor off! ), at least enough to know if they've sucked up any pine needles or other junk.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by spishex

The impeller is the part on the end of the motor shaft that actually moves the water. I can usually reach them by taking out the strainer basket and reaching through the hole from the basket to the impeller (motor off! ), at least enough to know if they've sucked up any pine needles or other junk.
    I will add that to my list of things to check. Thanks, again!