Pump not priming

Jun 28, 2015
Corinth/TX
My first post on this forum - I've got a Jandy Stealth 2HP pump, just over 1 year old, which I accidentally ran dry for several hours while at work a few months ago. The nearest skimmer had filled with leaves and debris following a storm. I turned off the pump, cleaned everything up, and restarted the pump after allowing it to cool down. It did still work, but since that event, it takes a long time to prime. A few times, I had to manually prime it to get it moving. As of a few days ago, it will no long prime at all. It doesn't draw water, even if I shut down all but one skimmer. However the pump motor does sound fine.

While this sounds like a suction side leak to me, I'm curious if the previous event would have damaged the impeller? Tonight, I plan to open it up, clean out the impeller and see if there is anything restricting flow there. And, I've ordered a new basket O-ring. The one in place is just slightly twisted, but I don't know if it's enough to cause such a significant impact on water drawing.

Anyone have further thoughts?

Thanks,

Could be a damaged impeller.... first thing I would do is get a blow bag from a local supply store and force water through the skimmer into the pump and see if it grabs water then, also a good way to check for a suction leak is once you manually prime your pump run a garden hose over anything before the pump. i.e. unions 3-way/2way valves and the lid while its trying to prime that will tell you if you have a suction leak

If the motor still sounds fine it sounds like a gasket issue to me, especially given that it has continued to deteriorate since then. I have been amazed in the past how much difference a new gasket (or two or three) can make. I had a little $0.80 o-ring that was causing my system to lose prime.. sounds like a suction leak to me.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. It was a suction side leak. First, I got a bladder (blow bag) from Lowe's. It attaches to the end of a garden hose, fits into the skimmer hole, inflates with water to seal it and forces water through the open valve to fill the filter basket at the pump. I wanted to be sure I didn't have any blockage (I didn't). But it still wouldn't prime. I cleaned the impeller, but there was nothing to unclog. Step 3 - I inspected the basket lid O-ring a little more closely and decided that the slight twist might be causing a leak. I took out the O-ring, lubed it, flipped it over so that smooth side will make contact when tightened down, and closed the lid - tightly. And,....it works perfectly. I guess the most obvious some times really is the answer! I ordered a new O-ring to keep ready for the next time I see this. Good learning experience! Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.