Pool remodel, Advice Needed

z4xc

Sep 16, 2015
Houston
I am in the process of getting quotes to get my pool remodeled and the information the contractors are giving me seem to be all over the place. I've had 6 companies here to discuss.

It is a 16 year old Gunite pool 15,000 gal.

The work I'm planning to get done is:

• Resurfaced
  • Large rocks removed in place of coping stones to match existing coping.
  • Clean up tile/water feature (sand/bead blast)

I've been told differing things about each of these tasks:
  • Rust spots (I have two of them) will either just be covered, or drilled down and treated.
  • Removal of the large rocks can, will or wont damage the existing tiles. (Told 3 different things)
  • Acid wash/hot start will make the existing water jets and drain covers look like new and they wont need to be replaced.

I would really like some input here. As I have no experience with this, moved into this house a year ago and have no experience with a pool prior to this.

Also is there any other work I should consider having done with all of this?
This is in Houston, TX. If anyone can recommend any particular companies I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Pool pictures

Attachments

• IMG_20161003_112551.jpg
    IMG_20161003_112551.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20161003_112605.jpg
    IMG_20161003_112605.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20161003_112616.jpg
    IMG_20161003_112616.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 77
Howdy neighbor and welcome to TFP! :wave:

I love remodel builds! What once was old becomes new again! Ohhhhh, there are so many ways to spend your money! We have a resident expert, Kim, at spending your dough (and truly an expert in pools, too). I'm sure she will be along to help.

What part of Houston are ya'll? I'm in Cypress, in the NW part. I have some pool builder names for this area. Let me know, and I can send you their names in a private message.

As an experienced pool builder my recommendations based on what your looking to get done is as followed

during replaster they should chip out all plaster not float over existing plaster when plaster is chipped they should drill or saw cut hold on gunite and defiantly fix the rebar that or tie wire that is coming though otherwise its just going to ruin your brand new plaster eventually.

the removal of the rock will more then likely damage your bond beam which would damage your tile otherwise if you didn't remove rock you can just have your tile cleaned and resealed with someone who shoots glass beads it will look brand new again

on the drain covers I'm not sure why anyone would want to acid wash them to restore them that makes no sense they should always be replaced at plaster since they are inexpensive and updated to be compliant with any new laws and to match plaster color

The pool builders I know about either don't do remodels or don't serve the Katy/West side. I did do some research on my neighborhood nextdoor forum and have some names for you if you still need them. I'll send you a PM if you're still in need of names.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.