Advice for a new set up?

Sep 12, 2016
Ontario, CA
Hi, we bought a house with an old pool set up and previous tenants didn't take care of the pool at all. Just found out that my filter was busted to begin with. House warranty declined my claim cause the people they use are idiots, said it was a "dirty filter" after 5 minute peek. Anyways, I'm tired of dealing with them, would like to have a new set up ASAP. I've enclosed a pic of my current set up. Any advice would be great.
IMG_20160914_100247.jpg IMG_20160914_095723.jpg
I think its a 10k gallon pool, maybe. The set up is an old rusty heater, but apparently works. I think that's a single speed Pentair with a Clean & Clear 150 filter. From what I read, I think that 150 may be too small for the pool anyways. The 2 Jandy valves are cracked and leaking also. It's a mess.

I would like an Intelliflo VS with a Clean & Clear Plus 320. Would you think that would be sufficient? Overkill? I just need to replace all this by this week. Pool is green and dirty after waiting for such a long time for this warranty issue thing.

Thank you so much, I've learned so much here. :D

You could do fine with a simple two speed pump, but if you want to go all out on a VS pump, there is nothing wrong with that. Honestly, I would suggest a Sand filter if you can have one, but it's a personal choice.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how much that would cost? I just wanted to save money on electricity. If there's not much of a difference between a Intelliflo VS and a 2 speed, I'm open for it. And as for the sand filter, I thought it wasn't a good option. Besides, I think my alley on the side of the house might not be wide enough for a wide sand filter.

You could do fine with a simple two speed pump, but if you want to go all out on a VS pump, there is nothing wrong with that. Honestly, I would suggest a Sand filter if you can have one, but it's a personal choice.

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how much that would cost? I just wanted to save money on electricity. If there's not much of a difference between a Intelliflo VS and a 2 speed, I'm open for it. And as for the sand filter, I thought it wasn't a good option. Besides, I think my alley on the side of the house might not be wide enough for a wide sand filter.

From the way the water looks I suspect much of your current problem is chemical balance

Ike
ps as to filters if you are in an area with water restrictions then cartridge filters consume the least water while cleaning them

From the way the water looks I suspect much of your current problem is chemical balance

Ike
ps as to filters if you are in an area with water restrictions then cartridge filters consume the least water while cleaning them

That's after we had it cleaned, but the gunk came back the next day and that's when we found out the filter is broken. Its a swamp now. LOL. I don't have a current pic, but I added that pic to see the size.

I think a variable speed pump would be overkill, a 2 speed pump would work fine and save you money. If I was doing a filter from scratch I think I would go sand with a bit of synthetic DE after each backwash. I've only owned DE filters, but have research other types when house hunting, and the sand with a bit of DE seem to me to be the most bullet proof and easy to maintain. If the heater works, I don't think I would replace it. I cannot speak to the sizing of cartridge filters though, so I don't know if what you have is sufficient, but if it is, I would stick with it. Basically, with the exception of the pump, if it works stick with it, if it doesn't go with a well built and properly sized replacement.

Edison offers a $200 rebate on the VS pumps. I'd suggest the Pentair Intelliflo 3hp (011018), Pentair Clean and Clear 520 cartridge filter, and a Raypak 406A heater if you choose to replace it.

Send me a PM and I'll get you wholesale pricing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.