New Chemical Plan for Winter

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
In Phoenix, my water temps will drop below the 52 degrees needed for my Intellichlor to producine chlorine. Previous winters I just tried to stay on top of it with adding bleach here and there, but like every winter, I get lazy since the pool isn't being used and I always drop to FC 0 at some point. Let me know if I'm missing something here with my plan for this winter:

Float trichlor
1) it'll maintain FC
2) it'll help boost up CYA a bit (I'm always low at the beginning of summer due to loss during the previous swim season)
3) it'll help with my normal pH rise that I encounter with my salt system

Any negatives that I'm missing?

I turn off my Intellifo when the water drops below 70 and switch to bleach. Be sure to chlorinate based on non-swg on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. With my cya at 70-80 I keep FC at 12ish. I let FC drop to 8 or 9, test PH and add a jug of bleach which raises FC by 4 ppm in my pool.

I turn off my Intellifo when the water drops below 70 and switch to bleach. Be sure to chlorinate based on non-swg on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. With my cya at 70-80 I keep FC at 12ish. I let FC drop to 8 or 9, test PH and add a jug of bleach which raises FC by 4 ppm in my pool.

Out of curiousity, why do you choose 70 as opposed to a lower number where the Intellichlor will still produce cholorine (i.e. 60)

I start getting too many low salt errors and it isn't worth the hassle. I'd rather just add bleach than wonder if the cell is working today or not.

I never have in 5 years. I have been thinking about getting a floater and giving it a whirl on vaca and over winter. But, I have never bought a puck, ever and I kinda like that track record. :) I think it is a good idea and it's an easy way to keep your CYA level up where you want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.