To cover or not to cover for closing - SC

Staci

Sep 12, 2016
Clover, SC
New (1.5 months to be exact) to owning a pool for those of you who didn't go through our grass green water with us :) (thread: clueless newbie) This will be our first winter with the pool.
We live in SC and have mild winters, our pool is in the open ie; no trees, so very little if any debri falls into the pool. Do we cover or leave it uncovered over the winter?

Are you actually going to close the pool (ie- blow out lines and equipment) or are you simply going to maintain it dormant? Covering the pool in either case will decrease your chlorine loss by a significant amount and keep any debris out, even if it's minimal.

Hi Staci, I am just down the road from you in York sc. Last year was my first year with a pool and I did not close it. The nights that the temp dropped below freezing I would run the pump to prevent any pipe issues and would add chlorine once a week. That's was it..

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

I would suggest not closing a pool in all but the very coldest elevations of South Carolina. Simply leave the pool open as always. You will see SIGNIFICANTLY less chlorine loss. Just keep the debris out and you will be up and running when the temps are warm enough.

Hi Staci, I am just down the road from you in York sc. Last year was my first year with a pool and I did not close it. The nights that the temp dropped below freezing I would run the pump to prevent any pipe issues and would add chlorine once a week. That's was it..

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

I would suggest not closing a pool in all but the very coldest elevations of South Carolina. Simply leave the pool open as always. You will see SIGNIFICANTLY less chlorine loss. Just keep the debris out and you will be up and running when the temps are warm enough.

perfect thanks guys

As long as you don't have to worry about kids, yours or those in the neighborhood, getting into the pool, leaving it uncovered will be much better for the chlorine loss as stated above. Since I see that the cost of water is super expensive and a concern for you, keeping it open will also allow for the rain to replace most if not all of any loss from evaporation. Lucky for those of you who are not in the desert like me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.