Input on Cover for Infinity Edge Irregularly-Shaped Pool

Muddah

Jan 27, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Hey from OK!

I am looking for input on pool covers. We have an infinity-edge irregularly shaped pool, live in the country, and have lots of trees. Last spring before the pool project was finished, we were amazed at how many leaves accumulated in the empty pool. Now that it is finished and contains water, we know that unless we get some sort of cover on the pool, we are in for quite a bit of work keeping leaves out all fall and winter and even into spring. We have to keep the pool running all year in order to use the spa which spills over into the pool. I've been told we would need to be able to access the pool in order to add chemicals to keep everything in check. The pool has an in-floor filtration system - was told this was the way to go and did not do as much homework as I should have from what I've been reading about them in older threads. (However, I must say we have been pleased with it - it makes two piles of dust/sand that we just vacuum up.)

We have someone coming out to measure and talk with us about custom safety covers. I'd like input on those and am trying to do my homework and make the most informed and best decision for our circumstances. My concern is that from what we have been told, 3 feet of clearance is necessary all the way around the pool in order to anchor the cover. I'm not crazy about that as walking around the pool would seem hazardous. (I have been known to trip over my own feet.) Any ideas as to whether it would be possible to put the tie-down hooks in the base of the stone outer edges of the pool that are above ground?

I've been told that the automatic covers will not work on our pool. Not sure after reading other threads and doing a little research online if that is correct. I am afraid a cover of this sort will not be sturdy enough to hold a large pile of leaves without sinking and dumping them into the pool.

The salesman at the pool supply store suggested the Polaris and Dolphin vacuum systems with bags to suck up leaves if we don't purchase a cover. While keeping the pool open might be nice even though I don't know how much it will be used, I keep flashing back to all of those leaves last year and think about how much work will be required to avoid pool chaos. This isn't a job I want to have to do all winter long and fear if we don't check skimmers for leaves multiple times a day that a whole new can of worms will be opened up. :( I also don't know how these things would work with the in-floor filters popping up and down.

I would be truly grateful for any and all input I can get! Many thanks in advance! :)

Greetings and welcome to TFP.

First off, you definitely want a winter cover. Trust me on this one ;) I have a ton of trees.

I historically used a custom solid cover with a mesh square in the middle and like it better than all-mesh safety style for leaf traffic because less tanin from the wet leaves gets in. But I do also clear the leaves off the cover before it freezes, using a large (wide) plastic rake that I've duct taped to another pole to reach the center if dealing with wet leaves. If its dry, I use the leaf blower to remove.

In fall, there is really nothing automatic that will manage leaves...just a really good pool leaf rake and a lot of scooping. My dolphin does a good job on a few leaves, but chokes on the volume I get during the bg drop. Its best to try to cover before the "big drop" ;)

This pic is upside down, but gives you an idea of leaf traffic last year the day after I closed ;)

image.jpg

Pretty cool picture so I wanted to flip it for you. That is ALOT of leaves!!! You probably need to close it up as soon as the first leaf drops - or maybe a week before.

image_zpso2ewhmhy.jpg

Thanks! Actually, this year I'm covering with an Ameridome that's being fabricated right now...so I can keep swimming until I get sick of the gas bills (we'll see how long I get).

I'm not sure if the weight of leaves will deflate it, but if so, I'll blow them off. I needed a new winter cover anywa and for my size of pool, those inflatable domes aren't a WHOLE lot more (eg 5500 with blower and blower heater included.)

I'm hoping to get at least Nov-dec-march-April out of it.

Muddah, that's another option depending on your snow load and tolerance for PITA management and high gas bills ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not recommending it yet...give me a season...but f you're interested, here's a link : Pool Domes | Ameri-Dome Inground Swimming Pool Enclosures

I should mention that inflatable domes are the "cheap" version of enclosures. I got a quote for a retractable one I liked for $48,000. But i don't really want a permanent structure...its too pretty in the summer to enclose.

Thanks, Swampwoman, for your input! Good to know about the mesh square in the middle of the cover vs. the one that is all mesh - this is information that was not discussed in the pool supply shop. So thank you for that info! It sounds like the amount of leaves we will have would be too much for a Dolphin or Polaris type vacuum as well. So it's looking like a cover is the way to go at this point.
Thanks again!

Not sure if this should be in a new thread or not - am hoping it will be seen. :)

We asked two different people/companies to give us a quote on pool covers - both told us we cannot cover our pool since it is negative edge/infinity pool. Also, pool was plumbed so that it would be a pain to shut down pool but not the spa. So back to square one. I'm thinking of two things at this point:

1. Cover with a leaf net that we can take off every few days to get rid of leaves before they enter the pool and then put back on while we continue to run the pool.
2. Get a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner to help clean the pool since I'm sure the tannins from the leaves will be an issue when it rains if we fail to get the leaves off of the net in time.

Has anyone out there had to deal with this, and if so, what did you do?

Does anyone have any Dolphin model recommendations? In doing research, I see that there are many different models from which to choose. It can be a bit overwhelming. I will say after reading an older forum on Dolphins, I ruled out buying a cordless one, which I thought would be great to have since we will need to use an extension cord. However, I don't think it will have enough oomph/stay charged long enough to clean our pool. Will using an extension cord be an issue with one of these things?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Not sure if this should be in a new thread or not - am hoping it will be seen. :)

We asked two different people/companies to give us a quote on pool covers - both told us we cannot cover our pool since it is negative edge/infinity pool. Also, pool was plumbed so that it would be a pain to shut down pool but not the spa. So back to square one. I'm thinking of two things at this point:

1. Cover with a leaf net that we can take off every few days to get rid of leaves before they enter the pool and then put back on while we continue to run the pool.
2. Get a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner to help clean the pool since I'm sure the tannins from the leaves will be an issue when it rains if we fail to get the leaves off of the net in time.

Has anyone out there had to deal with this, and if so, what did you do?

Does anyone have any Dolphin model recommendations? In doing research, I see that there are many different models from which to choose. It can be a bit overwhelming. I will say after reading an older forum on Dolphins, I ruled out buying a cordless one, which I thought would be great to have since we will need to use an extension cord. However, I don't think it will have enough oomph/stay charged long enough to clean our pool. Will using an extension cord be an issue with one of these things?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

If leaves are your issue then the Dolphin S300/S300i models are a best bet. They have a large capacity, top loading basket that is very easy to clean:

http://dolphin-s.com/images/filters_jump_multi.png

Muddah, if the leaves are bad, you may also ish to cover with a leaf net, whch will help a lot.
I use a Dolphin m4, and while its terrific on leaves, its no match for the prolific maple tree ;) Due to the dome's imminent arrival, I'm using a leaf cover right now to manage.

Thanks, Swampwoman! I ordered a leaf net and hope it will arrive this week. I'm eager to get the pool covered after two days of wind and multiple times of scooping leaves out. Thanks for the Dolphin recommendation - I will check it out. There are way more models than I imagined, so it's good to hear of those that that have been used and how well they work. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.