Installing a new filter

Oct 2, 2016
Tampa Bay FL
The grids in our filter are broken and no longer filter anything. I called a local pool company owned by a long time friend and he quoted a price of about $900 to repair it. In addition to the grids, the seals will also have to be replaced, which I already knew. He said we could install a sand filter for about $100 less. Bottom line I don't have that much money at this time so the pool has just set for several months. I know I will have a lot of work to do when I get the filter replaced, but that is for a future post.
I decided to check out the prices for filters on line and how they were installed. From what I've found I can buy a sand filter for about $300 and it appears they are pretty simple to install.
Now my questions: the installation procedures I found seem to say I just take the PVC off the old filter, put the new one together and attach the PVC pipes on the new filter. (I know the current PVC won't line up exactly, that isn't an issue) Is that all there is to it? It sounds pretty simple to me, what am I missing?
I would like to have suggestion on brands and sizes of filters as well. (I'm sure there's plenty of opinions, just trying to get some ideas and see if I'm on the right track.)
Pool information: It is an in-ground beach entry spa/pool, 900 gallons and I am in the Tampa Bay area.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Kat

Did you mean 9,000 gallons? If so, that's still fairly small. Welcome.

No, it's only 900. It's really an in ground spa with a waterfall about 14' wide and about 4' at it's deepest point.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, that is all there is to it. Here is a handy tutorial, How To Install a Pool Sand Filter - INYOPools.com

Thanks! That looks pretty simple. With a little help I think I can do that myself, save some money. and get it running again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.