Pump keeps shutting off

Re: PUmp keeps shutting off

Was the motor run dry for any length of time? How old is the motor? To me, it sounds like the motor is on its last legs. Likely the windings in the motor itself. There is an off chance it could just be the capacitor and those are pretty cheap. You could try that first if you don't suspect that the motor is old, damaged or worn out.

Was the motor run dry for any length of time? How old is the motor? To me, it sounds like the motor is on its last legs. Likely the windings in the motor itself. There is an off chance it could just be the capacitor and those are pretty cheap. You could try that first if you don't suspect that the motor is old, damaged or worn out.

The motor is actually only couple years old. As far as I know, it has not been run dry. Would the motor even start if the capacitor was bad?

This is an EXCELLENT article on pump capacitors. How To Select the Right Capacitor For Your Pool Pump Motor - INYOPools.com If the run capacitor is failing or has failed, you could have the symptoms you're experiencing. Motor starts, runs briefly at too high of an amperage, then trips the thermal protector.

Another article on pump troubleshooting as well: How To Determine Why a Motor Wont Start or Shuts Off - INYOPools.com

Note that an incorrect voltage setting on the pump can cause shut downs after short periods... or burn up the motor entirely.

While running does the water flow look good? Sounds like a thermal issue - that it is is overheating and shutting off.

Could the thermal overload engage within 10 seconds? Right now the pump has lost prime and I cannot get it to run long enough to establish flow. It runs only about 5-10 seconds and will not restart until it rests for 5 minutes or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.