Maytronics Dolphin - 4 ppm chlorine?

ned8377

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2015
Wake Forest, NC
Maytronics recommends 4 ppm chlorine when using their equipment in a pool. Does this mean 4 ppm with no CYA or with CYA? Anyone have any experience with this. Need help with clarification since 4 ppm for me, with CYA, is the bare minimum.

It's just standard industry boiler plate regarding FC levels. The pool industry quotes 2-4ppm FC without regard to any CYA level as appropriate.

The TFP Recommended levels do take into account CYA and the TFP levels are much gentler than what the pool industry recommends.

Thanks JoyfulNoise. So if my CYA is around 50 then 8 ppm FC would be ok right?

Do you routinely keep your FC that high? 8ppm FC with a 50ppm CYA is a 16% FC/CYA ratio...that's a little less than half shock levels and what one would keep a pool at if mustard algae was a recurring problem. Do you have problems with mustard/yellow algae?

The cleaner will be fine but I could easily see the plastic parts of the cleaner fading (especially anything with blue dye in it) over time as that is a fairly high chlorine exposure.

I had not turned my salt generator down yet and we've had some cloudy days so my chlorine has crept up. Anyway, pool math says that for my pool SWG Minimum: 2, non-SWG Minimum: 4, Daily Target: 6 to 8. Actually, what does the daily target mean? Is that what you would aim for if a person added chlorine every night and then it would drop down to 4 by the next evening? Thanks.

Your CYA is rather low for an SWG pool. TFP recommends a CYA of no lower than 60ppm with 70-80ppm the preferred level.

Your numbers are ok. Usually with an SWG you try target your run times to keep your FC near the target levels so you end the day no lower than your minimum value. You shouldn't really need more than 6ppm FC in your pool unless your experiencing high FC loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.