First Time Posting

kglidewe

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2015
Oviedo, fl
Hello All,

We finally have a new pool in the ground. We starting with permitting back in October and it has now been 30 days with water. This weekend is the first that the pool maintenance company turned it over to us. This is our second pool, our first was many years ago and my husband took care of it. He's not well, so this one is on me. I have been reading everything on here, but it takes me a few times for things to click...I thought it was going to be fairly easy, but, for me, it's not. I tried several times to put the numbers in PoolMath, but I had to have my husband help me do the tests today. I was out brushing the pool today and the waterline tiles felt rough. I looked at the salt numbers and they were at 4300 - way over. I told my husband and he told me the pool guy said to keep it high because of all the rain. We did the tests and here are the numbers: Cl 5; Ph 8.2; FC 4; CC .5; Calcium hardness 3750 plus, TA 50; CYA 22. I added 9 oz. of muriatic acid, drained some pool water and added new water. I haven't retested yet. Oh, and I can never get the black dot to disappear and I've done it many times - so frustrating. I've attached a picture - the water looks great, I just hope nothing is ruined with these terrible numbers. Thanks for any and all advice. I've so enjoyed reading everyone's posts and am happy to be a member of this group. I'm just sorry I had to ask for help so soon!

Karen

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
Hi Karen and welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's start with two things ... your CYA and CH tests. For the CYA, you want a minimum CYA of "70" for optimum FC protection for your SWG. Your SWG produces FC slowly and continuously, so the higher CYA is essential. So you'll want to increase CYA with stabilizer using our sock-soaking method as soon as you can. This is assuming there is NO algae or cloudiness correct? As for your CH, I suspect that may be a testing error. Double-check your CH testing process by using the Pool School - Calcium Hardness page. Please report back your CH number.

It's good you caught the elevated pH. Try to keep that around 7.5 or so for now, and never let it rise over 7.8. Let's start with that and once you report back we'll be glad to help. Many eyes will be watching your thread I'm sure. Welcome!

Oh, for your CYA test:
Proper lighting is critical for the CYA test, so you want to test for CYA outside on a bright sunny day. Taylor recommends standing outside with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Something else I just noticed in your numbers ... chlorine. You say "CL 5, FC 4, and CC .5". But remember .. TC = FC + CC, so your numbers only result in a total CL of 4.5. We never want CC over .5 or that might indicate a problem with excessive organics (algae), so it would be good to be sure about the FC and CC number before you add any stabilizer. We definitely want to rule-out any algae or an algae bloom in the early stages.

By the way .... thanks for being a TFP supporter! :goodjob:

Karen,

Welcome to TFP, it is great place to be!! :lovetfp:

You should take a deep breath and relax and have fun with your new pool. Most chemical imbalances do not cause immediate and irreversible problems. It often takes a long time for them to become a real issue. :calm:
That is not to say you shouldn't fix it when you find it, but the world will not end if you wait a day.

If you can do we a favor, I'd appreciate it.. When you "post your numbers," please use the following format. It helps us to easily see everything at once..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Thanks a bunch..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all,
You were right Marian, I did the CH test wrong - it's 625. I stopped and picked up some CYA and put 2 lbs. in a sock and put it in the skimmer basket and squeezed it after about an hour. Will squeeze it again before I go to bed..that doesn't sound right. I added 600 ml of muriatic acid and noticed that the salt level has gone down to 3900. The Ph is still off the charts. Is there anything else I should do right now (please say no). I hope I can get the hang of this. It's just a bunch of numbers right now that I will follow, but I'm hoping they make sense to me at some point. I can't seem to get organized either and I'm a fairly organized person. I've had the Pool School notes copied and in a binder for several months now, but I seem to keep looking at different places for answers.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all,
You were right Marian, I did the CH test wrong - it's 625. I stopped and picked up some CYA and put 2 lbs. in a sock and put it in the skimmer basket and squeezed it after about an hour. Will squeeze it again before I go to bed..that doesn't sound right. I added 600 ml of muriatic acid and noticed that the salt level has gone down to 3900. The Ph is still off the charts. Is there anything else I should do right now (please say no). I hope I can get the hang of this. It's just a bunch of numbers right now that I will follow, but I'm hoping they make sense to me at some point. I can't seem to get organized either and I'm a fairly organized person. I've had the Pool School notes copied and in a binder for several months now, but I seem to keep looking at different places for answers. Also, that black dot never disappears.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support