bleach usage

Lershac

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
I am trying to get a handle on how much bleach is used... in general, not an exact figure. Like an order of magnitude....

so in a month, how many gallons of bleach do you use, and how many gallons of water are in your pool?

Your bleach usage depends on a number of factors some of which include but are not limited to; rain , bather load, algae problems, vacation, your CYA level will be the most important one. The higher your CYA number is the more bleach your required to use. I personally use a small jug (96 oz ) every other day depending on the the factors I mentioned above with a CYA level of 30 ....

If my water looks a little cloudy I will use a small jug/day for a few days to get rid of the algae trying to grow in the water.

I usually buy 7 174oz <now 182oz> jugs every two weeks with one or two to spare towards the end of two weeks.

I'm now putting 1 qt. of 10% (switched from 6%) in each evening. We have full sun all day and just started using a solar cover as of last night (which raised our water 6 degrees today :-D ) I'm keeping our CYA low this season to see how it works out, such that we don't have to use much bleach. So right now, we're running: CYA 20, FC 2.5 (using 1 qt each evening keeps it at 2.5 by the end of the day), TA 60 and pH is holding steady at 7.4 - 7.6. I almost never have to add any muriatic acid.

Before I started to try to go chlorine free, I was at 4 gallons a week for my 21,000 gallon IG pool, once it was chemically balanced, algae free, etc. I would add the chlorine 2 gallons at a time, Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings. I bought my bleach at Aldi's.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.