New to us old pool

Sep 26, 2016
Prineville, Or
We recently purchased a 1952 Ranch house in Central Oregon. It came with a 30' x 50' concrete pool on an adjoining lot. The pool has not been maintained for several years. I recently drained the little water(super thick muck) that was remaining. There are a few hairline cracks at the bottom that seems to be seeping ground water. The ground water here is fairly shallow.
My dilemma is tear it out or try to refurbish. Money is an object. The pool house contains all the mechanics which look to be way outdated, rusty and not usable.
I am sorta of a handyman but never messed with a pool.
I would like to get some thoughts on which way to go with this thing. Filling it in will not be cheap, either.
We probably wouldn't use the pool much but would get a lot of family visitors. That's a good thing.
Thanks,
JK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 30
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Wow, that's a beast of a pool. If pools could talk ... :blah: .... I bet there's some stories there. If it were me, I'd probably try to salvage it. As long as there are no issues with the underground plumbing, you may simply need to replace some above-ground equipment (pump/filter, etc). You should be able too repair the concrete within the shell before filling. Looks like a lot of potential there. Once operating, maintaining pools today are not that bad. Look around our site for more info and you'll see what I mean. Start at the TFP Pool School (link below) for more info. Nice to have you with us.

It's cheaper to keep'er & renovate.

Most states permit pools as outbuildings. To fill in the pool will require "removal." & you if you do the "midnight dump truck thing" you will get caught when your municipality "re-vals" it's grand list.

I have made a lot of money removing pools, but it will never sit right with me..

Man, who wouldn't want an inground pool???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fix it and enjoy it is my vote..........We can help you with the equipment set up to start you up when you get it filled back up with water. THEN we can help you maintain it where it will look like the jewel is is meant to be. :sun:

:kim:

What a grand old pool! I agree with the above. Fix her up and ask any questions here you might have. There are lots of experts here who will help you.

Please post pics of the reno too! We love pics!