Baquacil to SWG conversion questions

dthayes

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2009
Red Lion, PA
Hi,

I'm new to the site and this is my first post. Thanks in advance for good advice.

22 years on Baquacil and converting to SWG (not turned on yet).

Here is the situation: New equipment installed 3-1/2 weeks ago with Baquacil to zero three weeks ago. So far all the pool company has asked us to do is keep adding 3 or 4 lb/day of CalHypo in 4-day series followed by water analysis. So far 72lb of CalHypo, supposedly low FC and advised to continue 4lb/day of CalHypo. Clouds up upon CalHypo addition.

Got suspicious and got my own Taylor Service Complete DPD kit. TC over 40! Am I getting bad advice (i.e. is the TC so high they are getting bogus readings)? Added 600lb salt and 4lb CYA yesterday. Added 192oz Clorox today and no cloudlyness.

What should we do? Thanks!

Appearance: Crystal clear. No Baqua-goo in over a week.
0.5 FC
40+ TC
7.4 pH
130 TA
270 CH
0 Phosphates

DT,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the pool company has given you incomplete information. Look up in Pool School on the upper right of the page and read How to Convert your Baqua Pool to Chlorine. It'll answer some of your questions and prompt you to ask us some as well.....that's what we like.

You will do much better finishing that conversion doing your own testing and not using any more Cal Hypo.

TC at 40 is possible, though probably not completely accurate. The CC level does sometimes go very high during a baquacil conversion. However, the DPD test is not at all precise at high FC or CC levels. You will really want a FAS-DPD chlorine test to complete the conversion, because you will need precise readings to know when you are done.

Take a look at out baquacil conversion instructions. They spell out the whole process fairly throughly.

I encourage you to start a topic in the Baquacil - Use and Conversion area of the site. You can read about other people's conversion process and gets lots of advice all the way through your conversion.