Cloudy,Cloudy,Cloudy.......

Sep 29, 2016
Brimfield Ohio
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but I have owned my pool for 5 years and I need some help, I think. I have always had really nice water up until the end of august this year. My testing process was to always use a 5 way dip strip and as long as the chlorine showed 3-5 and alkalinity was close it was good. When the chlorine got low throw a 3" tablet in the skimmer and good for another week. Every week or 2 throw a bag of shock in there because that's what I was told.

In August my water started getting cloudy even though I had chlorine on the strip. I also got an ear infection. We went away for labor day and when I got back there was green stuff growing on my steps. I went to the local pool store with a water sample and they said my alkalinity was low and I needed 10 lbs of baking soda and to shock it with 2 bags of multi purpose shock. My water turned into pea soup. I went back to the store and they told me to raise the PH to like 8 and do a yellow out where I added the yellow out and a gallon of chlorine and another gallon 12 hrs and another in 24 hours. This helped after 20 or 30 filter cleanings and running my pump nonstop I could almost see the bottom.

2 weeks ago I found this forum and after reading I started dumping lots of bleach into my pool, I did not know my chlorine because I was out of strips and I was waiting on my taylor k2006 kit to arrive. I have dumped 10 gallons of bleach in this thing in ten days and it has gotten better as I can see the bottom now and see the pattern on my liner but its till cloudy.
Thursday my kit came and I tested the water but it had rained hard for 2 days so I was unsure if my results would be good here is my first water test results - FC:16ppm , CC: 1.0 ppm ,PH 7.8 , Alkalinity 140, CYA really high the dot disappears at like 1/2" of column fill, CH 70 ppm
Yesterday I dumped 1/2 gal bleach just for GP and vacuumed all day it is looking better but still cloudy.
Today, Sunday I got up and tested again just to compare and see where my test results are. They are very close-
FC: 16ppm, CC: .5ppm ,PH 7.8 ,Alkalinity 140, CYA still really same as above.

I am just trying to get this thing cleared up to close it but I'm thinking with the stabilizer so high that I'm going to need drain and fill before I can throw the cover on it. Any thoughts or Ideas would be a great help. Thanks

At this late date, I would just close with the high CYA. It can reduce over the winter so it may be easier to deal with in the Spring.

Brink the FC up to SLAM value before you put the cover on which will be about 40 ppm for your pool.

I would do nothing (and spend no more money) than simply adding enough FC to get to SLAM value.

It's no guarantee that you will open with really nice water but it's your best chance.

The closing kit is mostly marketing.

Dave I want to tell you thanks. I added the FC to SLAM at lunch yesterday based on what pool math said to get to your 40ppm recommendation and it is almost crystal clear this morning. I just need to vacuum the dead algae out and cover it. I will deal with the high cya levels in the spring. Thanks again for your help.

Keep in mind that chlorine gets consumed when it is battling "cloudy" as yours sounds like it did clear up the water some for ya.

So my suggestion is that before you put the cover on and close, I'd re-test to make sure you are still at SLAM level. You might need to add a bit more liquid chlorine.

Yippee :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.