Algae bloom with 8ppm FC

My pool has been driving me crazy this year. I started the TFPC (ABC) method in July of 2013. After getting my high CYA level (300 plus) down and performing the firs SLAM, the pool was a breeze to maintain. I kept my FC around 3-4, occasionally it would dip as low as 2.0 but never saw algae and didn't need to SLAM for over a year.

Fast forward to today, for weeks now I have kept the FC above 8.0! Yesterday's readings (with algae all over the pool floor) were:

FC 12
CC 0.5
pH 7.3
CYA 30
CH 100
TA 65

I have slammed 4 times in the last 6 months and justed started another. I am getting monkey arms from lugging Chlorine jugs from the pool store!

The main question I am seeking an answer to is: "How is it even possible for algae to bloom with chlorine levels as high as this?"

Admittedly I am not home during the day and I don't brush/vacuum frequently enough. The only other factor is that I replaced my liner last spring and the jets had been removed so maybe they were not aimed correctly for good flow. I adjusted them yesterday as well.

It very well could have been the jets pointing incorrectly. Brushing also can play as a factor, especially with circulation problems. With the increased circulation and maybe a little more brushing, you will hopefully be Trouble Free once again, after your current SLAM is completed.

It sounds like you may have never completed a SLAM correctly. Once you get rid of the algae, normal levels will keep it away.
It seems like if you leave a little bit by not THOROUGHLY completing the SLAM, algae will haunt you the rest of the season.

Brushing and vacuuming are a mandatory part of pool care. You can't do it too often but once a week or so should be a given.

It sounds like you may have never completed a SLAM correctly. Once you get rid of the algae, normal levels will keep it away.
It seems like if you leave a little bit by not THOROUGHLY completing the SLAM, algae will haunt you the rest of the season.

Brushing and vacuuming are a mandatory part of pool care. You can't do it too often but once a week or so should be a given.

Other than SLAMMING for 4-5 days and passing the OCLT is there anything else to completing a SLAM?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so the instructions say:

SLAM:
Test the FC level and add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (see here for correct shock level)
Test and adjust chlorine levels as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day. Chlorine additions should be frequent, especially at the beginning. Algae and other organic debris will consume chlorine very rapidly at first. As things progress, you will lose less chlorine each cycle and can add chlorine less frequently.
Brush and/or vacuum the entire pool once a day
Backwash or clean the filter as needed
Vacuum up debris as needed

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

I haven't backwashed/cleaned my filter with every SLAM I have done, definitely not the last 2. So algae lives in the DE filter? Maybe that is what is going on.

Do you have an in wall pool light? If so, have you taken it out and cleaned behind it? You'd be surprised the amount of gunk that can hide behind a light.

Stairs/ladders - have you thoroughly cleaned in and around them? If they are removable,, take them out and inspect everywhere for traces of algae.

Inspect the skimmer door, front and rear. Check the styrofoam on the door too.

It may be time to take the filter apart to clean it. Not just backwash, a complete tear down.

Do you have an in wall pool light? If so, have you taken it out and cleaned behind it? You'd be surprised the amount of gunk that can hide behind a light.

Stairs/ladders - have you thoroughly cleaned in and around them? If they are removable,, take them out and inspect everywhere for traces of algae.

Inspect the skimmer door, front and rear. Check the styrofoam on the door too.

It may be time to take the filter apart to clean it. Not just backwash, a complete tear down.

I have taken care of all the above so we will see how this turns out.

1. Removed the pool light and cleaned behind - not very much there but maybe a small amount of algae was living there.

2. Cleaned around the stairs - I think there was a significant amount there as it clouded up quite a bit as I brushed there.

3. Cleaned the ladder thoroughly - it was ok, I have been taking care of that with each brushing.

4. Removed the guts from the DE filter and cleaned out.

5. Soaked the grids in bleach as I was refilling the filter with water.

6. Cleaned all around the skimmer and both sides of the skimmer door

If you do not mind spending a few $$, try one of these on opposite sides. I would place one in the shallow end and one in the deep end. My pool has 4 out of 8 returns, these rotate 360* and help circulate the water in the pool real well. It takes some of the guess work on which way to aim the heads, etc. Your TA is low enough where the PH really should not be affected. A combination of high TA and these heads will increase your PH pretty quickly.

ROTATING HEADS FOR A SWIMMING POOL

Amazon.com : The Circulator - Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Return Jet with deep heating and chemical infusion : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

The Circulator Rotating Water Jets for Swimming Pools - YouTube

ALSO HAVE 2 OF THESE RETURNS AS WELL

Infusion V-fitting for Inlet and Return Line, Venturi, White - Home And Garden Products - Amazon.com

If you do not mind spending a few $$, try one of these on opposite sides. I would place one in the shallow end and one in the deep end. My pool has 4 out of 8 returns, these rotate 360* and help circulate the water in the pool real well. It takes some of the guess work on which way to aim the heads, etc. Your TA is low enough where the PH really should not be affected. A combination of high TA and these heads will increase your PH pretty quickly.

Amazon.com : The Circulator - Automatic 360 Rotating Swimming Pool Cleaner Return Jet with deep heating and chemical infusion : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Infusion V-fitting for Inlet and Return Line, Venturi, White - Home And Garden Products - Amazon.com

Those rotating heads sound very interesting. It that would solve my headache I certainly wouldn't mind spending the money on a pair of them. The returns, not sure that I am plumbed for any. I do have one hole that has been capped ever since I bought the house 20 years ago. Pool was already here so I don't know if that might be a return. I might take a look at it.

2. Cleaned around the stairs - I think there was a significant amount there as it clouded up quite a bit as I brushed there.

3. Cleaned the ladder thoroughly - it was ok, I have been taking care of that with each brushing.

I admit I know virtually nothing about in-ground pools with vinyl liners. But, can pool water get behind the stairs and are the stairs removable? I seem to remember a pic posted on the forums recently that showed algae behind the steps hiding from view - maybe that was in an above ground pool though......

Can pool water get inside the ladder? Gunk could be hiding in there too.

I admit I know virtually nothing about in-ground pools with vinyl liners. But, can pool water get behind the stairs and are the stairs removable? I seem to remember a pic posted on the forums recently that showed algae behind the steps hiding from view - maybe that was in an above ground pool though......

Can pool water get inside the ladder? Gunk could be hiding in there too.

My stairs are not removable. The ladder can be removed and I may take it out if I still have problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the stairs on not removable, then I would suggest goggles and a small toothbrush. Look for areas that may have algae and brush away. The 360* returns should fit your pool and also, there are adapters for AG pools, Intex Pools, etc. You should have the standard returns that have been used for a long time. Will it solve your problem? I do not know, but I can tell you that your circulation will improve a lot.

Just a quick note: Returns are where the water returns to the pool. You must have at least one, probably more.
"where the water returns to the pool" - sounds like jets.

I believe returns are where water returns to the filter/pump in which case I have 2: the drain and the skimmer. I possibly have a third one which is capped and I don't know where that pipe goes.

I ordered a pair of these this morning. Thanks for the tip!

I ordered a pair of these this morning. Thanks for the tip!

Please make sure you shut off the filter first. Take the old ones out and then carefully place these in and tighten. You do not need to over tighten them either. Where exactly are the 2 return jets left in the pool? Hopefully there is one in the deep end and one in the shallow end.

I like your placement idea. I bought one of the simpler Infusion V-fitting for a return that is near the bottom of my pool. It helps to circulate the stuff that would normally sit on the floor.

{Water from the pool to the filter is through skimmers. Water from the filter to the pool is through returns which have jets in them. (At least, that is the terminology I have always seen in use here)} :)

Are your return jets the arrows in the pool? If so, where the other ones? I am only seeing 2 return jets? What am I missing? If the arrows represent opposite return jets, then definitely put them on opposite sides as they will work better.

Pabeader mentions the V-Fusion (These are excellent as well). I have a combination of rotating heads (4), fusion (2) and 2 in the steps.

You are probably right. Guess I was thinking of HVAC systems where you have vents that blow into the rooms and returns that "suck" the air out

I hate HVAC terminology (air being pushed back into the house is the SUPPLY, not the return). I always say the air being sucked out of the house going to the unit and then the air coming back into the house through the vents (makes it easier) LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.