Stenner Tank holding rain water

asquare

Bronze Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
Lake Mary, FL
I just installed my Stenner pump and tank and still tuning the dosage. I however have a question. The Stenner tank has a small reservoir area below the pump (there is a lip that goes around the flat top of the container). When it rains, this area fills with rain water. Do others face the same problem? How did you address it? I was thinking of just tilting the tank so that water would just accumulate in a smaller part of the reservoir but it does not resolve the issue. I don't like the idea of putting a plastic cover over the pump.

You can drill a hole through that "lip" - ie penetrating both sides of the tank, and then insert a 1/4 drain tube through the tank to let water out that way. Hole would be drilled a hair above the tank surface and the tube cut flush at each drill point (lubed up with silicon). Then place a spacer underneath the bottom edge to give it a little gravity drain effect/tilt. I assume Stenner intended that to be a reservoir to catch leakage but that is a fail during the rainy season when the reservoir remains filled with rain water. It's a nice little catch basin to provide a haven for mosquitos which is why I modified mine in this manner.

That looks good to me. I actually had some spare time on my hands so I made a little catch basin in/on the surface of the tank right up against the lip and then ran tubing as showing in your picks. (Wife as I was spending half a day having fun doing this mod: 'yeah, you have way too much time on your hands').

Just so we are all on the same page here the photo above shows a defeat of the chemical containment rim of the tank. The rim is required by OSHA and similar state rules to protect against release of the stored product in the event of an incident during the fill process.

In a commercial installation or public pool it would be an OSHA violation and, depending on the state, possibly a crime.

So generally this is something you should not do.

if one's tank rim is filled with rainwater, how are containment objectives fulfilled during a refill incident?

As you correctly pointed out, there really can't be an OSHA violation in the context of a residential, non work setting.

For the record, I am no fan of OSHA - which started out as an agency with a reasonable set of safety objectives, but which of recent, has evolved into a typical overregulating organ of the state that has placed an unreasonable stranglehold on business. (reference: closing down construction site: reason, not enough drinking water dispensing containers on the job site).

I'm sure OSHA has my best interest in mind when they compelled Stenner to design a reservoir in case I don't have the ability to properly pour liquid into a round hole.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.