Custom Pool with Blue Stone Decking & Coping Questopn. NJ

Jun 5, 2014
Cream Ridge NJ
So I almost have my permits and we should begin within the next 40 days. I will need to order Blue Stone because that's what the surrounding pool deck will consist of.

I am GC'ing the job but I have a 20 year pool builder helping me and a custom stone guy. So here' the question for now. I will be using the stone as the coping and we will cut all the stone and it will be 2 1/2 - 3' blue stone all away around the pool except where there are boulders. I may even go 4" thick irreglar blue stone depending on what the distributor has in stock. So as the stone gets lane the stone worker will cut about 12" back all the stone to lay it on the beam and act as coping. This takes care of the rise and fall issue that can develop.

The Pool builder says we should put skimmers in but the landscape architect says why do you want to cut holes in that beautiful stone? My question is, are skimmers needed necessary and is there another alternative. Are the skimmers only function to remove floating debris, bugs and frogs?

I attached the concept drawing.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 801-Lester-PoolConcept-1.pdf
    115.6 KB · Views: 72
I have some pools with stone skimmer lids..

Do yourself a favor & Cut the lid from a much thinner stone than that of the decking.

You will grow tired of lifting a 2" piece of stone by the finger hole, very quickly.
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ray, Is there a way to raise the lip of the skimmer so that the thinner stone is flush? Otherwise do you have any experience or is it possible to recess the skimmer into the thicker stone if chiseled prior? Any functionality reason why this could not be done?

Chris

Wow... Love the "Go big or go home" approach.. That looks awesome..
What did you do for a plaster?
How did you end up dealing with the skimmer cover?
Can't wait to see the water works... :)
Did you make plans for lighting the falls? This actually proved more difficult for me than I thought it would. I found I need separate lights just for when the falls are on then I can have some nice soft lighting for anytime the falls are not on. We leave the soft light on all night as we have a great view from several rooms inside the home.

Here is my latest attempt.

this one.jpg

Wow... Love the "Go big or go home" approach.. That looks awesome..
What did you do for a plaster?
How did you end up dealing with the skimmer cover?
Can't wait to see the water works... :)
Did you make plans for lighting the falls? This actually proved more difficult for me than I thought it would. I found I need separate lights just for when the falls are on then I can have some nice soft lighting for anytime the falls are not on. We leave the soft light on all night as we have a great view from several rooms inside the home.

Here is my latest attempt.

View attachment 152645
Thank You Rich,
Plaster - Pebble Tec - Pebble Sheen - French Gray - with blue luminesance-
Skimmer cover issue will get resolved when I put Tennessee Gray stone down on the patio- Just wanted to get it open for COVD 19 and Day 126 of quarantine
Water Falls will get turned on this weekend, ill post pics
Fall lights and Flower bed lights are going to wait until final inspection so as not to throw red flags. What brand did you go with?

Your pic above looks AMAZING and hope to be remotely close to that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Fall lights and Flower bed lights are going to wait until final inspection so as not to throw red flags. What brand did you go with?
Sorry for the late reply, I lost track of this one. This is what I am using.

They are a bit pricy but seem be a very high quality unit compared to others out there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.