Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter sold by Amazon for $78

Casual

Oct 1, 2016
Poughquag, NY
I am in the process of putting together my first pool. I have been pricing the major items for a while and found Amazon has dropped the price of the Hayward S180T Pro Series 18" Top Mount Sand Filter to $78 shipped with prime.
From what I have seen this is close to $100 cheaper then anyone else. I expect they are moving out inventory due to off season. I joined today to post this hoping it would help someone else.

In July/August I bought the "Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed 1 HP" from Amazon also and got that one for $165 delivered. I regret not posting that here at the time now. Shortly after I bought it they jacked the price up to over double what I paid. They can have some really crazy prices on this stuff when they are closing out inventory it seems.

Direct link to the filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-S180T-18-Inch-Top-Mount-Filter/dp/B000EVSGRE

If this is not an appropriate post, I apologize. Have been lurking on here a while looking at other peoples installs and how to do stuff.

Re: Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter sold by Amazon for $1

Thanks for posting. I am tempted by the price, although I was really looking for a somewhat larger filter...

Here is another current Amazon listing, for 21" sand filter for $161 (now, unfortunately :confused: you also get an oversized pump along with it, but that is a pretty decent price for the 21" filter on its own).

Amazon.com : Hayward Pro Series S210T93S 21-Inch Top-Mount Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System with 1.5-HP Matrix Pump : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

Some strange prices today.

Re: Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter sold by Amazon for $1

Thanks for posting. I am tempted by the price, although I was really looking for a somewhat larger filter...

Here is another current Amazon listing, for 21" sand filter for $161 (now, unfortunately :confused: you also get an oversized pump along with it, but that is a pretty decent price for the 21" filter on its own).

Amazon.com : Hayward Pro Series S210T93S 21-Inch Top-Mount Above Ground Pool Sand Filter System with 1.5-HP Matrix Pump : Swimming Pool Sand Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

Some strange prices today.

Nice find, that is an even better find since that pump is adding basically $50 to the cost of mine and is including the bigger filter to boot. Successfully canceled my original 18" filter and ordered the one you found. Thanks!

Amazon pricing sure can be strange.

Well, somewhat to my surprise, I ended up pulling the trigger on that one also (the 21" filter unit) -- it's down to $155 today. I wasn't kidding, though, about the oversized pump; I will probably get a smaller 2-speed pump for it next spring. For now, I will leave the unloved pool (no one is interested in swimming in it any more, now that water is in the mid-60s) up long enough to see if the new unit works properly. It sounds a lot more convenient to wait until next spring to hook it up, but there are enough reviews mentioning defects that it seems wiser to test it right after arrival.

So, I guess I will get the sand filter filled, test it, and winterize it a few days later... Is that a dumb idea?? We have no previous experience with sand filters, so perhaps there is a problem I'm not seeing. Can I still buy filter sand in Connecticut in October?

Well, somewhat to my surprise, I ended up pulling the trigger on that one also (the 21" filter unit) -- it's down to $155 today. I wasn't kidding, though, about the oversized pump; I will probably get a smaller 2-speed pump for it next spring. For now, I will leave the unloved pool (no one is interested in swimming in it any more, now that water is in the mid-60s) up long enough to see if the new unit works properly. It sounds a lot more convenient to wait until next spring to hook it up, but there are enough reviews mentioning defects that it seems wiser to test it right after arrival.

So, I guess I will get the sand filter filled, test it, and winterize it a few days later... Is that a dumb idea?? We have no previous experience with sand filters, so perhaps there is a problem I'm not seeing. Can I still buy filter sand in Connecticut in October?

DoItBest hardware stores have it for $8.79 a bag with free shipping to store. Depends where you are in CT for how close that is to you. When I did this the store got in about 3 days. Not sure if you can find it elsewhere cheaper.

HTH Pool Filter Sand 50 Pound Bag - 67074

Thanks, I'll check with the hardware store. Not a long drive to the nearest location.

If you go that route, order it on the website and choose the closest store to ship to. My delivery estimate was a week out. I called several days later and it was already sitting at the store. Not sure if the price would be the same if you walked in since it was a special order from their distribution center.

Just ordered 4 bags of sand, to nearest DoItBest affiliated store -- that was definitely the best price I could find. Thanks for the suggestion!

Re: Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter sold by Amazon for $9

The Amazon listing for this 21" Hayward pump/filter combo is down to ~$133 today (over $20 less than I paid for it a few days ago). Mine hasn't arrived yet -- hope this low (and dropping) price doesn't reflect anything bad about the particular lot of product that is being cleared out here...

Re: Hayward S180T Pro Series 18-Inch Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter sold by Amazon for $9

The Amazon listing for this 21" Hayward pump/filter combo is down to ~$133 today (over $20 less than I paid for it a few days ago). Mine hasn't arrived yet -- hope this low (and dropping) price doesn't reflect anything bad about the particular lot of product that is being cleared out here...

No I do not expect any problems with mine. Amazon just does strange things with pricing to clear inventory. Much more aggressive then normal retailers since they do not run sales and storage space for inventory and dollars in inventory both have costs associated with them.

For price drops this large, I use Citi Price Rewind from my Citibank card to match the lower price. They will accept a screenshot from Amazon for the proof of lower price. Takes about 6 weeks, but I get a check in the mail from them for the difference. My last check for another item like this that went down in price after I bought it from Amazon arrived last week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for the reassurance about Amazon clearance practices!

Down to ~$129 today. I don't think I used a card that will let me recoup the price difference (you are clearly an Amazon 'power user' :bowdown:); however, I'm still pleased to have gotten a really good price on the unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.