Green pool/Hydrogen peroxide (H202)

Sep 29, 2016
Cape Town
Hello wise TFP members

I have a a 60000L pool, a kidney bean shape one. It is fibre glass.

The pump has been switched off over winter...now I have a green pool.

Last year I took out all the chlorine and Bromine ( I am a health practitioner and I did not want my family, friends and I to swim in chemicals) and added Hydrogen Peroxide (H202), which mostly worked very well.

I have been adding about 4L every week of H202 for about 6 weeks and I still have a green pool, I upped the PH this week thinking that may help, but still a green pool.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this sort of treatment and how to use it successfully?

Thanking you in advance

:laughblue: Isn't that what got the pool at the Olympics in such a mess?

How do you figure hydrogen peroxide isn't a chemical itself? Especially as its been found to damage granulation cells in healing wounds and all that?

Gimme good old safe chlorine please!

In the USA, peroxide is not an approved sanitizer as a proper residual concentration can not be maintained and the pathogen kill times are too long. You would need something between 50-100ppm H2O2 in water to come even close to the same pathogen kill times as a few ppm of chlorine.

Sorry, there's just no way to use peroxide safely as a pool sanitizer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.